Phototalk - ask a question or explain stuff about photography

Albedo

As a direct result of asking log hauler what settings he used for his stunning pics in the fungi fest thread I went out and experimented today.

He said he used the lowest ISO which needs a slow shutter speed so a tripod is necessary, and high Fstop for DOF. (he also uses flash but I didn’t for this one as its too many variables and I don’t know how to do it properly)

So I took this on ISO 80 and F8 on a mini tripod – its over exposed due to the slow speed , so I experimented with all sorts of ISO settings and got too many results to post here, but I would recommend playing around with it.

My understanding of what the advantage should be is that the slower ‘film’ should give more detail and sharpness if you can keep it steady through the exposure. I used the 2 second timer so I was hands off (a tip from Hama).

I adjusted the exposure in PP and loads of other things including colour so here’s a before and after…

5976585e2f236_ISOTest008ed2.jpg.36a65030a73574dd26b407a1154b6a2c.jpg

5976585e2a87e_ISOTest008.jpg.96ca6d7ca1cbc6faab2404214e1cb7ff.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good tread! and some good tips, one I try to stick to is to crop in the camera not on the pc, by that I mean compose the shot before taking the picture, it slows you down and makes you look at the edges of the shot and around your subject.

The other is if your using a DSLR always buy the best quality lens you can afford and the faster the F stop better.

Everyone adjusts their images in this digital world we live in, its no different than when film was used (I still try and shoot film when I can) burning in and holding back parts of an image to achieve the wanted result. Just no smell of the chemicals!.

Sharpening an image in an image software, or ajusting the contrast and exposure are the main ones folk use.

I sharpened your image Albedo hope you dont mind? just to show a small rework.

ISO20Test20027.jpg

original

Alberto2.jpg

sharpened.

Don't mind at all SJH, in fact the opposite. The whole point here is for people like yourself to get involved, I'm delighted that you are takeing part in this little exercise, so thanks very much for the input.:thumbup1:

There is another interesting hint in the fung fest thread from log hauler about sharpening images after resising for the web.

Interesting point that it should not be regarded as cheating in some way to PP a bit and I also concur about framing in camera and not in PP, for the reason you state as it does make you look at whats in the image.

You forgot to add that you need to meter for the forground and switch to manual before attaching the ND grads:001_smile:

Tony

Hi Tony

Judgeing by your avatar I'm guessing that you might know a bit about photography.

Metering is a topic I want to get onto at some stage.....

You wouldn't be up for posting a kind of idiots guide for us beginners would you? :001_smile: Along the lines of what its for and how you benefit.

My LX5 has the options of: Multi metering, centre weighted and spot.

This would be much appreciated, or anyone else of course who can do this in a nutshell, so as not to put all the pressure on Tony.:thumbup1:

Hiya

This is a question about a camera and not how to use one, hope that's ok? I've been looking at all the recent picture threads and they are amazing, the fungi pics are fantastic! It's made me want to go hunting myself so I need to get a camera. I'd like one I can use for eveything and not have to be to careful with it. On the net there are a few rugged ones and the one that's stood out to me is the Casio EX-G1, what do you chaps think about it? Cheers