TD5 Discovery?

rovers90

Anybody got any worthwhile views on a Discovery TD5, 2001 -2004 vintage as I am thinking of buying a commercial type?

My mate who used to do all the servicing and repairs on my Defender swears blind they are a pile of rubbish - but he has never owned or driven one!

I would use it for carrying tools, carrying bagged logs and cut rings, as well as using it as my everyday car for going to my other "employed" work, going on hols and shooting. The ability to tow a decent load on a trailer would be useful as well.:biggrin:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Early ones blow head gaskets at around 90k they had plastic dowels between the block and head that deformed and let the gasket move then blow, and they are not the easiest head gasket to do. after 2002 i think they sorted it. defender td5,s had steel dowels and don,t blow, if you do a disco td5 head gasket put the defender steel dowels in. i find td5,s a bit gutless lowdown.

If you can afford the extra go for the next generation TDV6.

I know a few people who had trouble with the TD5.

The later model does everything way better than the old, might even give the japs a run for their money.

Just my opinion. Not ment to offend.

I've driven TD5 Defenders and Discovery's and in my opinion they are gutless at the low end of the rev meter. I struggled to tow an empty twin axle tipper trailer out of our yard last year. We normally use Defender but this one was a Discovery commercial and it was as gutless as the Defender. Just my opinion though. We now have a Mitsubshi L200 4Work and a Ford Ranger XLT 3l V6. As my boss was shocked at how much fuel the TD5 used up.

I have a TD5 2003 Disco and its been ok. Had to replace the injector wiring harness at 65000mls, 2 x abs sensors due to all the warning lights coming on when going over a bump! And just sorted the leaking sunroofs with a bit of help from Mastic!

Apart from that it has been a great car but its too smart for tree work (top spec, 7 leather seats etc) hence the Isuzu pickup should be with me this time next week.

Well here goes........i love my 2002 disco TD5. It sounds wonderful and if you're not towing it pulls itself along fairly well. It's not fast but then as i see things it's a 4x4!! You want speed get a sports car:lol:. Now the problems i've had/got (the car not me)!! The sunroof, front and rear, both leak. I've got an ABS sensor that needs replacing, i've got four leaks, two from the transfer box, one from the diff and one from the engine and that's just oil and one fuel leak hence at nearly 100,000 miles it's in for major work!! Oh and the fog lamp has fallen off:lol::lol:. About £1100 to get her going leak free!! But i still love it:thumbup1: