The new Stein Quest GTX Boots (un)Official Review.

Frank

Hey whats wrong with red boots hehe :P

I was choosing between the steins and meindls. I tried the steins on and couldn't get on with that hard insole. Left my foot aching after just trying them. I think there was about 30£ difference in price but I can't remember exactly.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These boots look really good and very much like my walking boots, but i settled for the stein explorer boots at the apf, only £130 from Jonsie. Would have liked to have got the GTX version but couldn't stretch that far. It is very true that you can't put a price on decent footwear and its the most important bit of kit IMO, but boot makers also know that and charge through the roof.

The explores are fantastic boots, very comfy and supportive. A little too high for me though but the waterproof liner actually breaths quite well, just as good as goretex. I don't usually like the liners as usually they dont last long and just make my feet too warm. Better off with a bit of polish. Not sure how the stein boots will be for climbing yet as they are pretty stiff. Lets see how long they last though.

ts really important to have a good pair of boots for work. Most employees will only have one pair of boots at a time and they need to be suited to all their tasks. For the Climber the boot needs to be suitable for branch walking and also stiff enough for spikes.

My last pair of boots were the Klima airs. I loved them to bits and they lasted really well (3 years with 3 new soles). I did find them a little heavy and a bit slippery in the wet but still a fantastic boot.

At the APF my boss dug deep and bought me a pair of STEIN Quest GTX boots and I am loving them:thumbup1: They are very similar to a pair of Boreal mountaineering boots I have but with chainsaw protection.

I cant comment on durability but the build quality seems great. They are just as stiff as the Klima airs new but mellow after a couple of days. They seem alot lighter and the ruber on the sole is more lively and grips better in the wet. The thing I really like about them is the fit. You can draw the boot so snug to the foot with the laces. They feel great on spikes and the rubber protection is a nice touch.

The only negative point I would bring up is when foot locking I catch one of the lace hooks repeatedly with the tread of the boot and you can hear this CLICK sound each time. This has slightly bent the lace hook but not to a point where its a problem. Im not going to hold it against the boot because I like them to much.

Here is a link to the boots for you to drool over

Fletcher Stewart

And some pictures of them in action

DSC00374.jpg.2309e82d139ff73c7445792ea3be11fc.jpg

DSC00377.jpg.bf1a6233d51700d84ee77501c6502d5a.jpg

I think the fact that both of you have independently reviewed your latest purchases, and given totally honest opinions, shows the impartiality of this forum. Tbh, when I saw Darrens thread, my heart sank, as the boots are supplied through one of the forums sponsors. But this is just the kind of feedback that we dont get with magazine reviews, and this is instant.:001_smile:

Have moved both threads together as one to give a balanced review.

Edited by Andy Collins