Are Timberwolf chippers really that good ??

combined tree services

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:001_tt2:I have a 24hp 150 6 inch, love it better then the diesel 150 in so many ways only downside is 11hp less which only notices above 4 inches.

Im told the bearings on my little 24hp should last alot longer then the diesel 150 as the diesel 150 will keep chipping on blunt blades whereas the 24hp will make it clear its time to change the blade and sharper blades work the bearings less.

So bearing failure is alot to do with crews not looking after the company chipper putting crap through them including metal, remember most crews wont own up to it so the rep for crap bearings is more to do with lack of care. These may be tough machines but they dont like being abused.

I know alot of schliesings which fell apart from being abused one was new when i got my 8 year old tw24/150 and its been heavily rebuilt twice now mines still not missed a beat ?.

Bad TW no bad operators imo

I have just got rid of my 150 dbh, it was a great machine and a bargain when i bought it. It was sold with 480 hrs on it and i had not needed to replace the bearings, the fins were starting to wear a little and the shear plate needed adjusting. The engine was solid and always worked. The brakes needed replacing twice due to cable seizures and overheating.

I now have a vermeer bc200xl and that is a great machine but a little heavy in comparison.

Its frustrating that timberwolf themselves seem to be aware of what many of us see as the largest problem with this brand.

Having spoke to both timberwolf and green mech at the show with an eye to buying - although having ever used a green mech before i found myself swaying towards the new quad chip.

however in the real world there is no dealer back up in my part of the world at the moment and this could be an issue.

Did you see this thread?

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/large-equipment/18752-very-scary-expensive.html

To be fair to TW they were very keen fix it and find out what went wrong. We had it back on the road in a week (about £3k bill). The housing is thicker now..

They provided a comprehensive report which told us very little.. I'll dig it out and post the findings

Did you see this thread?

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/large-equipment/18752-very-scary-expensive.html

To be fair to TW they were very keen fix it and find out what went wrong. We had it back on the road in a week (about £3k bill). The housing is thicker now..

They provided a comprehensive report which told us very little.. I'll dig it out and post the findings

did they do the work for free or did you foot the bill ???

I think the bottom line is that they are a budget chipper, and that is why you see so many of them around. When they are working they do a very good job, but being budget they are ineitably going to have problems. I dont think that a comparison to the likes of much heavier and much more expensive machines is realistic. For what they cost, they are a very good machine, and like all budget machines, maintainence is paramount, or repairs will be regular and costly.

I think the bottom line is that they are a budget chipper, and that is why you see so many of them around. When they are working they do a very good job, but being budget they are ineitably going to have problems. I dont think that a comparison to the likes of much heavier and much more expensive machines is realistic. For what they cost, they are a very good machine, and like all budget machines, maintainence is paramount, or repairs will be regular and costly.

Good post tom :thumbup:

Timberwolf along with a lot of other manufacturers have a lot to contend with.

Firstly they have to try to build a machine to satisfy a budget, which is difficult, then they have to build a machine that is robust and reliable and keep it sub 750kg which is extremely difficult.

If the rules change and the tow limit was raised to 1000kg it would take a huge amount of pressure off manufacturers and give us a more substantial and reliable machines for our money

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, simples

Just to add, if the chippers were serviced as they should be then the bearing problems would be picked up on the service schedule.

Edited by Dean Lofthouse