let them know?

jose

I am taking down a large tree with a crane( Secoya) in nov.

It has been cleared by the tree officer (it has been ring barked).

Its on a private back garden.

My plan is to park all vehicles on a council owned grass area behind his house.

All vehicles will be completely off any roads and it will not disturb traffic or pedestrians.

Temporary road will be put down to protect the grass from vehicles so no damage to the grass.

I will be informing the council 7days before hand so they know its coming down.

My question is do i need to inform them/ ask permission to work on the grass?

Reason being it wont affect anybody or traffic and without sounding funny but i personally like to avoid asking the LA anything cos they tend to start a pain-in the a$$ process of covering there own backsides.

many thanks

Personally, i wouldn't bother. It shouldn't be classed as a public highway. They won't be grass cutting in November, so I would just do it.

actually quite a lot of grass verge is classed as part public highway and as such the laws that apply to road also apply to the verge, if its an old road hedges that marked the highways boundary could have been taken out so there is no definitive visual line.

Forget all this covering your backside......

If you are getting a crane in, you need to be covering your wallet.

You need to make sure you have got even the finest little detail tied up for jobs like these.... its not like you can "give it all another go tomorrow" if you come across a "little hitch" on the day.

personally i would speak to the council BUT make sure before you speak to them that you have a full and comprehensive RA and method statment, also have you spoken the the crane company about insurance against breakdown or dammage caused by the crane ? i was envolved in a crane job where the crane was parked in the middle of the road and as im sure you can imagine we had several roads closed and quite a feq diversions going on , half way through the job the crane broke down and could not be packed away and moved !! Now thankfully the company i was working for took out the correct cover through the crane company because it became VERY costly and the LA became reather hostile .