Friend took kickback to the face. **WARNING** Pictures not for the faint

Harrison2604

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lucky to get away with limited injury - bet his he was in shock, problem his saw would still be running after the accident.

I always assumed a kickback was the saw lifting up when in both hands with too much power to hold the saw, relying on the brake, so I work with my left hand tipped forward to ensure the brake will apply quickly but I had a minor incident a while ago when the end of a 20" bar 'touched' when unexpected and the saw lifted pulling my right hand off the saw. The saw pivoted on my left hand flicking up, I was totally taken by suprise and didn't have time to tip my left hand forward OK nothing happened but it was abit of a shock, I only mention it if helps stop the unexpected.

I have worked in different jobs plus motorbikes etc and always found chatting about this incidents will help reduce future accidents.

Just been thinking - ok I work as a medical engineer in a hospital seen loads of accidents and have done alot of meat chopping on animals. Both pictures of the guys with kickback injuries are less than I would expect from a powerful saw cutting tissue. So my query is did the chainbrake apply in both incidents and the injuries result from a slowing chain? I assume after the shock of a facial injury it would be hard to recall the exact detail of what happened. In my case my right hand was pulled off the saw, the saw flipped but nothing happened. If so it's abit scary as we all rely on the chain brake saving us from injury.

The next time I get the chance I will test a large saw on a dead animal and let you know what happens.