Which Camera

RobArb

I'm after a new camera after being inspired by all of your pretty pics but thin ki may have just walked into a minefiled of information:confused1:

I've got about £300-£350 to spend and got a few ideas on what I would like to buy:001_rolleyes: I would really like something with an incredibley good macro shot and just wondered if there's any of you guys and gals out there that can give me an opinion on something you have either owned or have got and think is really good?

Cheers

Rob

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm delighted with my LX5 and pleased that Sean and Hamma are impressed with its output.

It very much suited what I was looking for and for me it beats the G11. (sorry monkey D).

The LX5 has a chunky old style retro build like the G11.

Another one to look at is the cannon S90 which is more pocketable. Recently replaced by the S95 which has fixed a couple of minor prob's with the S90 noticeably the dial which slipped to easily and now has click stops.

I only mention it because if you want jeans pocket sized quality compact its worth a look. If you don't mind fleece pocket size, then the LX5 is a pretty safe bet

Edited by Albedo

I felt a bit guilty as I recomended the G11 amongst others when you were looking (Monkey D), then you didn't seem happy with it.

I waited as I thought Panasonic might bring out a new model on the GF1 micro 4/3rds then literally got lost in indecision and info overload and forgot about it for a couple of months.

Then I heard the LX5 and S95 had been released and went for the panasonic as soon as I saw it without even looking at the S95 which had always been a contender in its S90 incarnation.

One thing is fairly clear to me and that is that there is no point in owning one of these high end compacts, just to press auto all the time. In the panasonic world get a TZ10 (I think it is) for 230 squids and it will do all you ever need.

Spending 400 quid or so on a G11 or LX5 means doin some work to learn how to use it otherwise there ain't a lot to be gained.

I want a G 11,they are the mutts as far as I can establish,but to get the best from them you need to understand the basics of the interaction between aperture & shutter speed,leading on to depth of field,spot metering for the exposure etc.

Digital cameras don't have the exposure latitude of film cameras,I still use my old weston 5 light meter & lieca screw camera,oh what fun!