dangerous tree pics

Yorkshireman

I will not make a comment on this specific tree as I did not see it in the flesh so to speak, and I am not going to disrespect a fellow members judgment call.

But I do very, very little rigging, I cut and chuck every thing, so do not shock load the tree.

If it stood up to the last wind, my 13 stone will be fine,IMO.

Totaly fair and respectful points my friend.

In my working environment, a MEWP has to be considered as an option, thats just LA for you.

Obviously depends on budget etc.......and for you guys out there in the real world, I see your reasoning for this not to be the preferred path to sail.

What I'm interested in with your proscribed working method Huck, is the part above where you talk of little rigging;

and FTR, I do get the shock loading issues.

But does this not increase risk of uncontrolled timber above targets,

and most importantly wear and tear of your main precious tool; ie YOU.

IMO and experience, the working environment is far safer whilst rigging dead trees from a platform, due to the facts that you can evacuate the cutting zone easier and that you can rig to the exact point required, something not always possible from rope access.

The other thing I don't really get with ya, me hearty, is that you obviously love big boys toys. ( Mog, crane etc....)

Did you have a Pecon moment at some point in your fledgling career?

Just kidding. :wave: :wave: :wave:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 14 years of climbing I have only come across one tree I did not feel happy to climb, that was a dead Wild Cherry which was in a very sheltered spot, I did that one from my rope anchored to my Hiab, and in fact once up it it would have been OK climbed.

But I do very, very little rigging, I cut and chuck every thing, so do not shock load the tree.

This is only my personal view and others must do what they feel happy with, I don't look down on people who want to use MEWP's and I don't like people who look down on me for doing trees that "others" feel are unsafe.

We should feel free to make our own decisions as to the way we get the job done, we should not be worrying about the opinions of others, be that a comment of wimp or nutter,IMO :wave:

Cheers for the reply, please don't take it the wrong way as I wasn't havin' a pop.

I respect most peoples opinion (esp when they have been doing the job longer than I). I was just interested to hear your perspective as opposed to questioning Y'shireman's judgement. Regardin the cherry, the tip from the crane would be the sensible option if you or any other climber deemed necessary.

IMO MEWPs have there place and sometimes it can be quicker and easier than climbing. I am not always given the choice, but I would like to choose whatever method gets the job done in a quick, efficient, safe and timely manner.

take it easy, rich.:icon14::icon14::icon14:

Took out a birch once that was overhanging a wall on a main road and gravestones on the other side. Nowhere to drop the thing so we got a mewp in which worked a treat and had the tree down in no time. Hardly needed a chainsaw because the tree was as soft as butter with decay. On this occasion I was glad for the MEWP. Also used a mewp on tracks to raise the epicormic on an avenue of lime trees. The trees were dense so it saved a lot of laking about setting up anchor points which were few and far between. I see it as another useful tool to add to our repertoire

I will not make a comment on this specific tree as I did not see it in the flesh so to speak, and I am not going to disrespect a fellow members judgment call.

In 14 years of climbing I have only come across one tree I did not feel happy to climb, that was a dead Wild Cherry which was in a very sheltered spot, I did that one from my rope anchored to my Hiab, and in fact once up it it would have been OK climbed.

This is only my personal view and others must do what they feel happy with, I don't look down on people who want to use MEWP's and I don't like people who look down on me for doing trees that "others" feel are unsafe.

We should feel free to make our own decisions as to the way we get the job done, we should not be worrying about the opinions of others, be that a comment of wimp or nutter,IMO :wave:

Chaps this isnt worth a fallout,

personal professional assessment of the individual specimen given location / condition, viability lead to the chioce in the method of TD

its the circumstances that count !!!

I use trad methods where ever possible as I much prefer to trust my knots over of a piece of metal ,whos history I dont know !

That ALL SAID if a mewp is the only viable tool in the box, then I have no hesitation in using it , I just dont like em, maybe thats a mis-trust issue, or just deans avatar LOL i dont know'

what i do know is that Cranes on the other hand are

'most excellent' fun. & our edelrid lines have never failed me or any of my staff :icon14:

Here you go fellas.

Get your selves a down payment, combine Ians distrust of second hand Kit, Hucks love of BB Toys and Deans setting up skills and .............Bobs you Uncle.

Well not litterally, cause I don't really know Bob,

but you guys could dominate the Northern MEWP Market.

Think of all the Coronets and hedges you could churn out :wave::wave::wave:

teupen.jpg.eb9201d15ac57d7294919a0b5d6f7a88.jpg

What I'm interested in with your proscribed working method Huck, is the part above where you talk of little rigging;

and FTR, I do get the shock loading issues.

But does this not increase risk of uncontrolled timber above targets,

and most importantly wear and tear of your main precious tool; ie YOU.

You become a very good shot with practice

And with cut and chuck the pieces are much smaller than with rigging so if something does go wrong it is much less likely to do much damage.

I think as for wear and tear on the body, its a balance between maintaining your strength and wearing yourself out, IMO, cut and chuck from up the tree is much less strain on your body than dragging brash and humping timber on the floor.

You become a very good shot with practice

And with cut and chuck the pieces are much smaller than with rigging so if something does go wrong it is much less likely to do much damage.

I think as for wear and tear on the body, its a balance between maintaining your strength and wearing yourself out, IMO, cut and chuck from up the tree is much less strain on your body than dragging brash and humping timber on the floor.

my wrists and elbows are gnarled from cutting and chucking id rather rig it out and let the lowering device take the strain and there are no chances of any thing going wrong if you dont take the p!ss and its quicker dealt with once on the deck, we all got are techniques though and im not knocking it if it works for you!

The other thing I don't really get with ya, me hearty, is that you obviously love big boys toys. ( Mog, crane etc....)

I love things that take the hard work out of the job, and do things I can't, like lift a 3 ton lump of timber.

I really don't think a MEWP would speed up my working day like my mog and crane do, and a MEWP cannot do any thing that my rope can't.

Plus climbing is fun, humping logs ain't,IMO.