biggest fear when you was a young climber?

vduben

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my biggest fear is doing branch walks well not the whole branch walk going out im find but its going back in taking the slack up on ur rope and trying not 2 slip all that the same time blows my mind. also sometimes when i change anchor points i think is this big enough

My biggest fear was gaffing out in the middle of a cut and sliding down the stick with saw running and blood flying everywhere.

Now a days I just spur in deep and get set in my perch.

I still gaff out once in awhile but it's second nature to catch myself now without even thinking of it.

grab both ends of your line and walk in, get to a stable point where you can hook your foot round something then tend some slack

Thats what I do too Steve, but some would call it "bad practice" or a "bad habit" and if you did it on an assessment I believe you would fail.

I feel this is just one of the areas where the things we do in real life which help prevent fatigue and are in real terms safe practice are not recognized by the training and assessing body's and others,IMO.

If I am wrong please feel free tell me.

Thats what I do too Steve, but some would call it "bad practice" or a "bad habit" and if you did it on an assessment I believe you would fail.

I feel this is just one of the areas where the things we do in real life which help prevent fatigue and are in real terms safe practice are not recognized by the training and assessing body's and others,IMO.

If I am wrong please feel free tell me.

i was very careful to mention finding somewhere stable to take up the slack...meaning, at various intervals along the branch. so long as you dont let too much slack in your line.....i believe in comp climbing they deduct points if the slack bows beneath your knees??

I use a sort of hybrid technique, grab both lines, walk in, and if necessary hold both lines with the left hand and tend some slack with the right on the fly.

What I saw you do at the get together Peter was when you were out on the end of the branch walk, you took the end of your climbing line, took it round a stub and let yourself back in by letting the tail end of your rope slide thru your hand.

When I tried it I did it with the lockjack. Only I didn't let the slack run through. I just took the tail of my rope put it round a branch and took up the slack till it was pulling on my lockjack. I then walked back down the branch, one hand holding the climbing line and the other holding the tail of my line which went round the branch from my lockjack to my right hand.

As you walk back. you don't let the slack thru your left hand, just keep a firm hold of the tail which then automatically takes up the slack on your main line as you walk back.

Works a treat