biggest fear when you was a young climber?

vduben

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may take a little longer but on dead and diseased trees, I never load the tree where I am anchored. Always find another way.

Sounds simple but so many people I have worked with prefere to drop large loads on suspect stems rather than climb out!

Where there is fear and experience there must be a large amount of risk!

When I started I was scared of much much more.

How much stems wobble about after you have de-limbed them:(

Ive been climbing at height for 30 years and I still scare myself. I love the fact that I'm still learning all the time from experience and other people. The fear changes as you become more confident in your abilities, I guess most experienced climbers deal with that fear so it doesn't become disabling. I often curse my careers officer from back in 81. I tend to work as fast as I can which is what really scares me, as that's when mistakes happen, even though I know this I can't help but push my limits. Oh, and having inexperienced groundies who cant avoid shockloading the system when lowering massive timber. Height per say is not frightening.

• 2 weeks later...
for me prussic loop slipping when your out on a limb all good now which a vt,never go back to prussic loop for me

me too prussic loop slipping really gave me the shits for a while untill going for the better option of the frenchy, lowering out tops aswell gets me sometimes and when first starting out getting to trust the gear is a bit of a barrier

I climbed my friends mast on his boat the other day about 25-30 feet. Not good, no anchor point and a suspect line the existing sail line.:scared: I struggeled to (dare I say it) get above the anchor point so I could work on the light fitting. There was lots of movement as it was windy and the boat was in the water. I realy didn't enjoy it!:thumbsdown:

my friend said the mast was nearly touching the next boat when the wind blew:scared: Needless to say he didn't mention it whilst I was up there because he was bricking it and he was on deck :wave:

I've done some work from the grab on the crane before and its freaky climbing on top of it and balancing on teh rotator (tied in). its also weird climbing ontop of teh quick hitch on a JS130.

I thought theres quite a bit of sound wood there but obviously you cant see when the trees up

How was the tree removed in the end mate was it not climbed :wave:

we set a line up it and pulled that with the big mog and set a butt line on it with the wee mog. the butt line was kept taught so that if the hinge snapped there was no chance the tree was kicking back into the building. well that was the idea. the tree was felled over the road as we had the road closed by the police.

Jamie

One thing that used to make my heart sink was looking over to the climber in the next tree and seeing that he was half finished on his tree and i was still struggling up mine! (normally having started at the same time!). Sometimes I thought i'd never get good/quick enough to keep up with my collegues!

it can be a bad thing cant it when your a young climber, can also make you make mistakes!