Were Climbers better 15 years ago?

Mike Hill

I was thinking today,that new Climbers were probably more proficient in the days before Colledge than now.

My reason's are that in order to be a Climber you first had to show your ability as a grafter before they would give you a chance.

Also the person showing you the skills and techniques would demonstrate the skills needed to do the job in an efficient manner

It seems today that all it takes to get into Arb Colledges is the right amount of money.

Sadly these new graduates seldom have the experience or attitude to gain employment,especially in these tight times.

I know there are still plenty of young people learning the Trade "on the Tools" today,these people in my opinion make for better Trainee's.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see where your coming from but its nearly impossible to gain employment these days without tickets so I don’t see what choice inexperienced people have?

Prove to a firm that you are a grafter,buy your own kit and offer to work Saturdays for normal pay etc.

Tickets mean alot to a newbie,but not alot out on the Tools.

Comes down to the Man,not the Papers or the Gear.

Prove to a firm that you are a grafter,buy your own kit and offer to work Saturdays for normal pay etc.

Tickets mean alot to a newbie,but not alot out on the Tools.

Comes down to the Man,not the Papers or the Gear.

i love this post,:thumbup: tickets are a load of rubbish and dont mean anything, when i done all my tickets there were some dangerous people qualifying.

To be good you have to be a grafter and willing to let some one with experience teach you.

To sum up, when i first started my old man told me to go and get the tickets, and once id done that he would teach me how to do it properly. Ive learnt far more being out on site with people who know what there are doing than i did from a red tape, cover my back, never had any real experience, scared of anything that doesnt tick all the boxes instructor on a weeks course.

Tickets are ok. IMO. But we regularly take on guys who have no tickets. A proven wish to get on both with the job and with the rest of the team is more valuable.

Once they have proved themselves we are able to get them using the machinery under supervision. Then we pay for them to take their NPTC Quals.

I know it can be a pain in the derriere from time to time not having a qualified person on hand to carry out a task without supervision but some of the qualified people who come to try out with us I'd not be comfortable allowing them to pick up a chainsaw let alone start it.

For's and Against's IMO.I have 30,31 etc,windblown,pts,cscs,forklift,tractor and so on.the only thing i learnt anything on was the windblow course,techniques for trees under stress.I regularly climb large trees with no ticket,i learnt from my uncle who's in his 70's and still climbing (with no ticket),if i do site work i get a climber in with a ticket and have a rest.I think it helps if you can climb or cut,being experienced at one you can learn the other