New lowering rope

Doug Blease

All this crack just confuses me I may come across as a cowboy or a bit thick but I've never snapped a lowering rope or worried about angles and the likes to be honest I've probably used a porta wrap about ten times. I use a crotch and wrap around the tree not that I'm disrespecting the use of certain equipment it's just when I add more fancy gear or listen to technical jargan I spook myself and when I'm like that I think the job is more dangerous I'm happy with a big rope and us ethe tree on itself. I'm looking to buy a new rope at the minute and Reading this thread I don't know what to buy incase I'm running it through the wrong kit and it will fall apart

I dont know if its been mentioned in this thread but I think you need to be careful what rope you buy if you intend to use it for natural crotch rigging.

Apparently some of the more expensive/exotic ropes require a pulley.

I think its to do with double braids BUT dont take my word for it its just something I remember someone saying quite a while back.

I just use a yale bull rope which is fine for NC rigging.

Although the last time I checked it it isnt in the best of conditions:laugh1: but I dont usually rig mahoosive bits.

Just find out first before you buy.:thumbup1:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the detailed responses. I have been away surveying for a couple of weeks. I will need to get sorted again for the Autumn.

I only use a pulley system. No natural crotch rigging anymore. Not for a good few years now anyway.

I think the Marlow are the most realistically priced ropes. Seeing that no one as slated them yet, I guess I will give them a try.

I think the Marlow are the most realistically priced ropes. Seeing that no one as slated them yet, I guess I will give them a try.

Not into slagging off any manufacturer, but have a good look at the minimum breaking strains of all the ropes and then make an informed choice.

Thanks for all the detailed responses. I have been away surveying for a couple of weeks. I will need to get sorted again for the Autumn.

I only use a pulley system. No natural crotch rigging anymore. Not for a good few years now anyway.

If you had a marlow and a yale you would not choose the marlow

The Yale is a much nicer and supple and stronger

Marlow is cheaper

so depends on your needs really

There are real probs associated with crotch rigging with braided line..you should run it through a pulley as you alter the way the rope works by flattening it out running through a fork. This means excessive wear and glazing on the underside, the top side becomes flaccid and useless, and the edges are doing the work, thus wearing prematurely, reducing your ropes ability (potentially) to 40% of its strength, and very premature wear.

Basically.