Rope + Scots Pine SAP = MESS!!!

larry

:mad1:

Fellas, had a cracking day climbing, was sorting out some snow damage, from Jan, to some big ol Scots Pines today, all went well, happy days, all safe, .............

However my rope is coated in thick sticky sap, its absolutley stinking, and nasty to touch and my blakes hitch won't run smoothly!!!

Obviously I dont want to bin the thing, prob dont need to!!

Totally Threaders!!!

Any top tips or old school advice to clean my ropes and get ris of the filth.

I dont want to get then nearly clean, I want them really clean!!!!:thumbup:

Cheers!!

Run a hot bath and put in a load of soap flakes, leave to soak. I hear that works.

Washing machines are also good but a bit risky as you can wreck the machine, which is fine if you're okay with a very angry missus and no clean clothes.

I've had a brainwave, prevention is better than cure as we all know, has anyone come up with a crafty hard-wearing non-pourous sleeve to put over fliplines while you use them on resiny trees? Obviously this would be no good for main lines, but still a nice timesaver.

Edited by Ben90

try getting some mountain sud,s from your local outdors center or if you wanna spend some money then buy a Beal rope brush and some rope cleaning fluid . in future if you dont want to get your rope in this state again then either use a rope guide or better still get some other non assuming fool to do the dirty work , only kidding

waheey alright phil ma man! Glad to here your climbing :lol:

had the same trouble the other week... it got covered in the stuff! bit of a hairy climb so sap on the rope was last thing on my mind

pillow case in the washing machine, bit of the liquid stuff in the tray and i stuck mine on a cold wash just to be safe! came out Really clean... abit too clean if anything but thats good for you ex army types :001_tt2:

get in touch about the show! have a pint or two!

cheers

Gareth

Larry my man!

If its really minging, rub it in butter (honestly!) and leave it in the bath for a bit, then stick it in the washing machine with non-bio on a 40 degree cycle. I have never stuck it in a pillow case, but it couldn't hurt. I have the rope coiled in an electricians braid to avoid kinks, and let it dry naturally.

See you at the show!

Edited by Mark Bolam
sp

Just bung it in with your work shirts and chainsaw pants, a bit of laundry powder on a low temperature and a easy care cycle. I normally knit/braid my ropes and stuff them in the machine with prussics included. Come out a treat!!