Richard Dawkins- discuss

chris cnc

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a couple of the videos posted early in this thread. I've always been aware of Richard Dawkins, but have not read his books (sadly, I just don't read much these days).

I've always been atheist. My father is, and my mother is agnostic I suppose. Growing up without any religious dogma in the house only served to clarify the daft nature of organised religion. That said, my wife grew up in quite a religious house, and remembers a moment aged about 12 sitting in church where she decided that it was a nice story, but she just didn't buy it!

There is evidence to suggest that humans are evolved to be religious (I would love to argue that with an American Christian Fundamentalist!). In tougher times, religion was a unifying factor, offering social cohesion and cooperation that was otherwise lacking. Consequently, religious groups were more likely to survive than non religious groups. Even today, atheists have a slightly shorter predicted lifespan (I'd argue quality of life though....).

In later times, religion was used as a fantastically effective method of control of the masses. The church and the autocracies were always inextricably linked, and the promise of eternal paradise for a life of servitude worked wonderfully for centuries to subjugate the proles. It did of course help that your common man couldn't read, and even if he did, the first English bible didn't appear until the time of Henry the 8th.

I've always found so many people's need to believe in something greater than life itself to be very interesting. I've always taken things at face value, am quite rational and logical (I'd like to think) and very unsuperstitious. With that mindset, the whole notion of a God creator doesn't, and cannot fit. Whilst the scientific theories that seek to explain our existence are theories, at least they attempt to bolster their position with evidence, as opposed to the simple requisite of faith. As our understanding of the physical world increases, I dearly hope that religion, and all the awful crimes that are commited in it's name, disappear. I am however a realist, and don't believe that this will ever happen.

Ive always said that religion is a way of making sense of the chaos of living/life.

some of us NEED to have some answers, a deeper answer.

To be god fearing, they say is the way to live, but i fear nothing, not even death so why would i fear a god I do not see know or believe in!

I think that for me, the thought of my body returning to its mineral/water based components and once again being part of some other life form fills me with joy, the cycle of life, from death there comes life, what lives must die.

it is what we do and how we live that matters.

mmm. read his books. interesting!

i think we all have our beliefs and should stop trying to convert others that our way is the right way etc.

' A closed mind is a mind that can not grow ' this applies to the religious community and the scientific.

As far as i'm concerned science has worked such a strong point regarding evolution..but that doesn't mean it was not all created to happen.

As for the holy books i think they are a good read also, like dawkins books and lord of the rings etc.

I went to school with a couple of Jehova's Witnesses and came to realise that it was pointless discussing anything of a religious nature with someone who has 'faith' -- whatever the name of their particular God. At the end of the day all rationality goes out of the window and they end up saying, "because it just is!"

John,

And after this experience you decided to start (tree and) mountain climbing :001_tt2::lol: ?

---

Kaart-Jehova.jpg.3c236daa9ec2016d964a56e711964797.jpg