Richard Dawkins- discuss

chris cnc

[

Children often ask "who made God?" The answer is simple - if someone or thing made God then they would have to be greater than God in the first place and thus would actually BE God thus the the made God wouldn't be.

]

So whats your answer :confused1:

You seem to just be avoiding the question.

I like the way you try to make out those who ask are "children" very christen :sneaky2:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So whats your answer :confused1:

You seem to just be avoiding the question.

I like the way you try to make out those who ask are "children" very christen :sneaky2:

Sorry that's just my experience - rarely heard an adult ask it.

How am I avoiding the question?! It's SOOOOOO simple - If there is a God, then by definition He/She/It is the highest being of all hence the title "God". But if God was made by another creator we would assume that to create God you would have to be greater than that which is created. Thus the highest has to be God and so on... So, God is not made. So I suppose yes that says "he's just always been there".

In all this discussion one thing limits it continually - the human mind. God if he exists is obviously greater than us so why on earth would / should we have the capacity to understand Him? The assumption that human intelligence is the highest is the stumbling block here.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Well now we know that everyone's right, I feel that this has run its course. These things rarely get back on track and have a nasty habit of permeating the rest of the forum.

For those reasons I will close this thread in the morning - then we can all get back to complaining about the censorship of free speech by heavy handed moderation. :D

To quote a certain music group "if you believe in God then you have to believe in the devil". What's not to say the devil is doing it????.....

Children often ask "who made God?" The answer is simple - if someone or thing made God then they would have to be greater than God in the first place and thus would actually BE God thus the the made God wouldn't be.

Nice. There is plenty of evidence - you just have to look another way. The theory (not fact - fact!) of evolution directly contradicts all the laws of thermodynamics for starters. That's another one...

So what is the truth then? Having angrily attempted to demolish one particular belief system, no alternative is offered - is none required? BTW - not to be taken personally. Debate not war! Do other faiths attract your opposition i.e. Islam???

Satan needs to exist in Christianity in order for comparative to what Good and Evil are, without Satan God wouldn't exist and vice versa, its a symbiotic relationship for comparative purposes - flawed really as its a means to psychologically threaten people into obedience - its far more satisfying and gratifying being a good human being without having to be driven to it with fear.

The answer is simple when you use Circular logic to justify a God you believe in, that doesn't mean he factually exists.

You're criticising Darwinism as well as Adaptation theory, but I've yet to see you reply to what was posted earlier in the thread regarding the use of Absolute logic erasing then need for belief in an organised religion, in your case Christianity. But when it also suits you use Scientific theory to justify your disbelief of Darwinism which logically, you can't do because the Scientific theory in this case is in direct contradiction to your belief structure of Christianity, unless of course were talking in terms of Creationism taking bits of Scientific theory and doctoring it to justify its belief structure in which case its not an accurate argument or even logical belief.

All faiths personally for me attract my attention and I happily engage in debate regarding it and accept the others point of view but also offer my own, in this case however you're ignoring many of the posts regarding alternate points of view and merely put your own forward in this case towards Skyhuck because you maybe find it easier to target his argument, why have you left so many posts/questions/debates unanswered ?

On a final note in this reply, since you used quotes I'll add a couple also for reflection -

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders? - Friedrich Nietzsche

And my personal favourite...

The "kingdom of Heaven" is a condition of the heart - not something that comes "upon the earth" or "after death." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited by LancsMike

This thread has been a constant source of amusement for me! Shame to see it go soon. There have been some great points made too. Liking your point of view LancsMike.. Summed up my thoughts better than I could ever put it. :D