Bench Press

Mark Bolam

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate, try doing your maximum for 1 full rep, then once you have this figure work out what 90% of it is. Then what you need to be doing is work at your 90% figure for 4 sets, you should get 6-8 reps on your first set, then maybe 4-6 on the second same for the 3rd then on the 4th set push out as many reps as possible. Even if you just get 2 thats fine, repeat this every week, do 2 or 3 more chest exercises eg fly's, dumbell presses. Also work at 90% of your 1 rep maximum. This will increase your strength. Supliments to take will be creatine, protein and that should do you, or you could go down the other route which involves injections or tablets... Let me know how you get on

If you want any further info just get back to me

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, this is pretty much what I do at the minute.

Max SR 100kg, so going for 90 for reps, but seem to go 4,4,4,2,Fail!, so trying to build a bit more endurance.

Presently I'm taking no supplements at all unless you count Strongbow, so I might have to look at that!

Mark, do you have an iphone? if yes, did you see my other thread for the workout app?

when i fill in my sets and reps, at the bottom it tells me what my 1 rep max should be, which is pretty cool...although i havent tested its accuracy yet.

whilst on the subject of 1 rep max. when do you attempt this? before your sets? or on a completely seperate day when you're not training that body part?

I didn't see that Steve, I'll check it out.

Attempt singles randomly (and rarely), after two warm up sets, then at least one or two good sets with a heavy weight.

Some days you feel you've got it, and I normally go for it if I'm feeling strong like a bull!

100kg was always a big target for me. The next one is to push it for reps. After that it's bodyweight for 20 (80ish kg).

1 rep max wants to be done on it's own day with no other bodyparts at least a week after you last trained chest shoulders or triceps.

50 percent of max for two warm up sets then go for it.

Update on my comp,it should have been moved to 30th this month sadly I won't be competing,last year I cut my thumb off and had to have it al re attatched,whilst deadlifting hard last week I sadly torn the tendon completly off again using a hook grip,a stupid mistake for me to make with an already weakened thumb.Hope dave gets this update as sadly my I phone has spotted ass and won't let me reply to visitor messages quick enough. Be rehabing thumb again for few months again.Considering going backto MMA fighting again now as my body is failing me and it's having knock on effect to me earning.Been a pap week

hope everyone elses benching is going good :)

man i thought somthing was wrong truely sorry to hear that mate, you know your own body but dont give up mate may be a brake and good rest is what you need! as for earning its tough enough at the mo without going off crocked for days at a time . ''if it dont kill you it will make you stronger'' all the best recover well however long it takes!!