Your vehicle of choice???

Logrover

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to buy a Hilux. No need for cheap parts as they don't break down that often:001_tt2:!! Have a Discovery TD5 and it just leaks everywhere. If it's not in the sun roof it's out of the engine somewhere:thumbdown:. They have both done about the same mileage but the Hilux is about 5 years older. Go with the Japs they know about engineering

I had a hilux in between various landies.......i bent the chassis, and the electrics failed, and it was seriously lacking in the carrying/ towing dept. I went back to a 300tdi defender which has been ace. The TD5 is an awful engine TBH. The jap stuf is generally more reliable yes, until wirked relly hard, annd then from what i can tell they break like any other marque.:001_smile:......IMO!!:001_cool:

Been a Land Rover fan for years and have owned 5 but my 1985 90 with a Disco 200 tdi is starting to cost me on down time.Thinking of buying something more modern but have heard mixed opinions on TD5 reliability.

Anyone had problems with head gaskets followed by major breakdowns?Would I be better off searching for a low mileage 300tdi.Thanks.

I would strongly advise a 300 over a td5 any day.

I am surprised no one on any of the vehicle threads I have read has mentioned the latest style Ford Ranger which has been out for a couple of years now. In the March 2010 edition of "4x4" magazine (used to be Off Road and Four Wheel Drive for those of you old enough to remember) the Ranger won the group pick up test - the contenders being Isuzu Rodeo, Mazda BT50, Mitsubishi L200 (surely one of the most unattractive vehicles ever built!!),Nissan Navara and the Toyota HILux. A friend of mine has one and swears by it and a lot of the gamekeepers on estates where he picks up have switched from Defenders to Rangers and they rate them very highly. After 20 years of Land Rover ownership I am even considering buying one!

The landy garage i use have the servicing contract for all the landies used in the china clay pits an cornwall. They (tha vehicles) work in what is probably the harshest condiions possible. The silica gets everywhere, and there is slurry all over the place from being in deep silica/ clay pits with water everywhere- brake discs last about 2 weeks and are like paper for example. There are 2 landies that run 24hrs a day taking men all over site, and after 3 years they fetch up to about £300 at auction....whereas the 90's driven by the managers fetch very good money second hand. So daimler benz (the leasing company for the landies) said they were fed up of this, and orderd a trial of the ranger. After 6 monthes the rangers were dead, and spent most of that time in the workshop. They now use landies again. There isnt a jap motor on the fleet. This says it all for me.:001_smile:

anybody seen the new vw L200 size pickup? saw a pic of one last wk, wouldnt dare use anything other than a landy myself but maybe suitable for schoolrun?

you mean the amarok? looks nice but same price as a landy and only tows 2800kg.

For working local maybe 300 for long distance td5. The 300 has naf cambelt alot of work to change and a habit of blowing head gasket between 3 and 4 pot at 80,000. When we run a few we used to let the cambelt fail and change the push rods and head gasket in one go. TD5 has been Landrovers longest running engine and pulls well at 70mph. Once you drive a td5 you are unlikely to want to go back to a 300.

I agree with you totaly there Steve. Like the idea of the cambelt and head gasket.....its certainly different!!

I never thought aboput the td5 like that- has it outlasted the 200/ 300 total too?

I was very close to replacing my 300 with a td5 hi-cap a few years back. It would have cost too much at the time, but i have since decided to keep to the 300 (i even paid 2.5k to have mine rebuilt 2 years ago) as i keep seeing td5's in the garage with engine probs though. Did you get many /any probs?

I agree with you totaly there Steve. Like the idea of the cambelt and head gasket.....its certainly different!!

I never thought aboput the td5 like that- has it outlasted the 200/ 300 total too?

I was very close to replacing my 300 with a td5 hi-cap a few years back. It would have cost too much at the time, but i have since decided to keep to the 300 (i even paid 2.5k to have mine rebuilt 2 years ago) as i keep seeing td5's in the garage with engine probs though. Did you get many /any probs?

We did not have it from new but the history shows new injectors at 80,000 and we fitted a new air flow meter this year now has 135k on clock. Good emmissions no rattles or smoke. With near 1 tonne in boot and driven hard on a run does 30 to the gallon. Around 2003 they seemed to sort the problems out

DSCF0580.JPG.8f38214122c7b64f0a56effcf7f80ce8.JPG

DSCF0333.JPG.73e9d6706e7aefaa4b7dcd9c80ae2da0.JPG

5976574681916_sept09033.jpg.13f608d21f67abc10fa004f52692a319.jpg

597657467ea0e_DSC00892(600x337).jpg.d345c67a3c004d54fa594ced8f7973c7.jpg

I have td5 disco van and two hilux. Landrover will last fifty years but you will crawl under it every weekend. Hilux will last 10 years and you wont put a spanner to it.:biggrin:

do you do parties? my mates nipper has his birthday coming up..:biggrin:

re the hi lux, they're not completely bombproof, mates one just failed it's MOT to the tune of £1800,you name it, it was bent or broken, it had not been used hard off road either,,,, he sold it for £400 on the bay and it's now in nigeria.

and tommer is only under his every OTHER weekend...:001_tt2:

Ha ha i love it. To be honest i'd love a Landie and a TD5 at that but the problem i have is that my truck has been so reliable (touch wood) that i don't really want to move on!! How sad is that:laugh1:. I'm like a closet Landie fan!!:thumbup1:

Edited by chaffey