Qualifications.Important or not?

Mike Hill

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that the people who decide what Quals we need are those who have the least industry experiance.

I do not agree that Qualifications make for a more professional industry,or improve our image in the Customers eyes.For example,how many of a Mechanic's Clients ask for his Quals?He is working on a machine that if it should fail,could kill the Client and Family.

Thats a good and valid point, and what do they teach at degree levelanyways? time managment, study skills and arb principals! o.k so a bit od soil science is well handy, but if you want to play the game, you have to get them quals, otherwise your nowt but an unskilled labourer.

and i am sick of people shutting the door in my face, so i will play thier game, and as i walk by slam thier bhc's with my door, a door with PHD written on it! lol

there will always be a donward glance from them to us, and us bitching about thier specs, but they drive BMWs and get CPD funding, so i know its no use me whining about it, just got to get them quals and play the game from THEIR side of the fence.:001_smile:

I am going to have to work ten times harder to get thier, but i was never work shy.:001_cool:

it all depends on your (positive?) attitude.

you could be trained with simple tickets, but its up to you how they are implemented into the industry, tickets are always something to improve on, get your technique right first then work on the speed later,

you could go with very basic tickets, and rush into a job like a bull to a red rag. get it right, youl never know. get it wrong, will you listen to a more qual'd youngster telling you why it went wrong? just cus they learnt a higher level ticket?

experience is a great thing, so are qual's, and common sense. its up to you which one you use?

it all depends on your (positive?) attitude.

you could be trained with simple tickets, but its up to you how they are implemented into the industry, tickets are always something to improve on, get your technique right first then work on the speed later,

you could go with very basic tickets, and rush into a job like a bull to a red rag. get it right, youl never know. get it wrong, will you listen to a more qual'd youngster telling you why it went wrong? just cus they learnt a higher level ticket?

experience is a great thing, so are qual's, and common sense. its up to you which one you use?

Common sense is not common, far from it, quals dont mean much in the real world, but in the letters and in the courts they mean EVERYTHING, as for experience, well how do you quantify that? and quantify what? does ten years hedging make you as skilled as a man who spent ten years working the bigwood dismantles and reductiuons? I think its hard to put a value on experience when you get down to the nitty gritty.

There should be an exam for people who cant afford the time or money to go to school, we should be able to pay a one off exam fee and be given a level cert for our pass rate. then we can at least be fairly judged and walk away for credit due and go as many times again as and when we feel we have learnt and read enough to step up the grade.

Common sense is not common, far from it, quals dont mean much in the real world, but in the letters and in the courts they mean EVERYTHING, as for experience, well how do you quantify that? and quantify what? does ten years hedging make you as skilled as a man who spent ten years working the bigwood dismantles and reductiuons? I think its hard to put a value on experience when you get down to the nitty gritty.

There should be an exam for people who cant afford the time or money to go to school, we should be able to pay a one off exam fee and be given a level cert for our pass rate. then we can at least be fairly judged and walk away for credit due and go as many times again as and when we feel we have learnt and read enough to step up the grade.

Hear hear!!

I think you're right Mike, although to be fair I don't think any of the uk qualifications are designed to make good efficient workers. They were primarily developed to endemnify employers and their insurers against lawsuits by injured staff.

What most nptc modules seem to cover is a list of common "faults" identified by accident data as being most likely to lead to injury. Once the employee has been made aware of these it is harder for him to sue.

I do agree though many people seem to think that the quals make you the genuine article. They don't.:001_smile:

What does your common sense tell you?

what my common sense tells me is in MASSIVE conflict with my eligability in the job department these days, at the end of the day, its all about CAD and degrees being an "addvantage"

what "advantage" means is that your CV will not even get you an interview and that CAD and A degree is not an advantage, but an ESSENTIAL in the modern world, cos if youve got 20 years hard graft behind you and the next guys got CAD and a degree, you aint got a hope in hell.:sneaky2: