Qualifications.Important or not?

Mike Hill

Time and again I read your posts about qualifications Tony. Just because someone has a qualification you don't it doesn't mean that they know any more or less that you. We all walk a different path

I was in a similar position to you some years back. Great drive and desire to better yourself but without an achedemic qualification to assist moving forward. In hindsight why would my old boss have paid for me to get more qualified when in reality I would more than likely leave his employment.

I did study, and online in the evenings because I was skint, 25 on £15K a year as a climber with a new mortgage. It was bloody hard graft I got there and without anybody's help

Now that I have a qual it doesn't make me any better than you. You have a wealth of knowledge in areas I am only just delving into. I'm sure my background offers me experiences you may not have had.

My qualification whether you like it or not opens doors. I beleive also that I have gained respect of my colleagues, not because of the qualification, but for the work it took to get it. If your selling yourself to a client who you've never met, what are they going to look for to reassure themselves you are the man for the job?

Maybe it is time you except that you might have to do and pay for your qualification yourself. I'm sure you can and if you do this you can begin to explore your interests, get paid and let go of this frustration you seem to have with the whole issue

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hama...the changes due to the qualifications framework are a (very badly timed and unspeakably annoying) step in the right direction. It will aim to score students on a scale whereby all previously gained credits are indeed units of themselves but a part also of further endeavours.

Continual assessment in effect.

It should then not need pointing out that differing sector industry can look across the platform of quals currently available, and be able to score prospective employees, sub-contractors WHU with ease and without confusion......

Now , about that paying for it for you....just look at the way a whole generation of upcoming students are due to be "wasted" in the name of "deficit cuts"....New politics my arse...The moment they start berating the last govt for their legacy you know that the individuals are no different and new politics is no more than rhetoric.....Its transferance.

"They made me do it!" utter drivel......!:thumbdown:

I agree that qualifications are required to move away from the 'tools' side of things but i have came across no less than 4 assistant tree officers in norwich over 5 years which might have the paper but have no clue, rubbish spec, wrong street, wrong species etc. They had one who left to work for private firm was doing his tech cert at the time, Mr bundock, great specs, correct species etc. He had about 4 years on the 'tools' before he moved to the office role. So that note experience.:001_smile:

Another thing how many home owners really care if their tree is topped and lopped with massive rips down the stem? 15% id say care imo as i've been asked many a time to quote against someone who recommended topping and a bit off the side!! I say thats not the right thing to do, give a quote for a full reduction drive past a few months later top it and lop it have been and done it. So qualifications are required here?? Hmm should be.:blushing:

Workers i will hire guys in for a days work and i've seen that the ones with experience and less qulifications muck in as much as the new guys so i don't think qualifications or experience matter here.

Im going to sit my nptc in safe pointing at people from height next week.:001_tt2:

ive never landed a job based on my national cert or dimploma. my lifetime of working in the industry or my enthusiasm.

only nptc's.

the most basic and simplest tickets available,

and yes, my n.c, nd, my life experiences and my enthusiasm have taught me how to pass those tickets at 100% without need for the training.

it shows when my collegues insist they know best, cos they have their basic tickets, bu**er all experience, no common sense and the wrong attitude. hey presto wrecked and abused kit, third party damage on most jobs and a wasted fortune on new troosers every 3weeks.

im interested in improving these standards by moving into education. my experiances, quals and common sense tell me where to direct my attentions. its no use just sittin n moaning (even tho i feel like that too!).

Time and again I read your posts about qualifications Tony. Just because someone has a qualification you don't it doesn't mean that they know any more or less that you. We all walk a different path

I was in a similar position to you some years back. Great drive and desire to better yourself but without an achedemic qualification to assist moving forward. In hindsight why would my old boss have paid for me to get more qualified when in reality I would more than likely leave his employment.

I did study, and online in the evenings because I was skint, 25 on £15K a year as a climber with a new mortgage. It was bloody hard graft I got there and without anybody's help

Now that I have a qual it doesn't make me any better than you. You have a wealth of knowledge in areas I am only just delving into. I'm sure my background offers me experiences you may not have had.

My qualification whether you like it or not opens doors. I beleive also that I have gained respect of my colleagues, not because of the qualification, but for the work it took to get it. If your selling yourself to a client who you've never met, what are they going to look for to reassure themselves you are the man for the job?

Maybe it is time you except that you might have to do and pay for your qualification yourself. I'm sure you can and if you do this you can begin to explore your interests, get paid and let go of this frustration you seem to have with the whole issue

Yes i am fustrated, no i am not angry with "others" good positions nor benifits"

But I will say this, if I had half the learning support and or resources others I meet get i would kick arse!

the destination is the end, but the journey, well that is what maketh the man!:thumbup1:

Hama...the changes due to the qualifications framework are a (very badly timed and unspeakably annoying) step in the right direction. It will aim to score students on a scale whereby all previously gained credits are indeed units of themselves but a part also of further endeavours.

Continual assessment in effect.

It should then not need pointing out that differing sector industry can look across the platform of quals currently available, and be able to score prospective employees, sub-contractors WHU with ease and without confusion......

Now , about that paying for it for you....just look at the way a whole generation of upcoming students are due to be "wasted" in the name of "deficit cuts"....New politics my arse...The moment they start berating the last govt for their legacy you know that the individuals are no different and new politics is no more than rhetoric.....Its transferance.

"They made me do it!" utter drivel......!QUOTE]

i will find a way up the ladder, one that is appropriate and fits me, I dont give up, i just get tired for a bit!:biggrin:

I'm with you on that one Mike. I've seen some very good jobs by people with no quals other than the basic stuff and witnessed truely naff practice by people who are teaching others!

On one occasion, an ex-student of a land based college with the "right" tickets put in a dead man for me on a mature oak in a small garden and he was amazed when I told him that the hole had to be a spade deep and not a spit deep. Very badly advised by the college people who are "names" in this industry!

at the end of the day there are good qualified guys and bad qualified guys, good experienced arbs and bad experienced arbs,

all are as bad as eachother, they look down on us and we ignore thier stupid specs!

Qualifications, are the be all and end all, wether we like it or not, so get on the train and do your learning, be the rare as rocking horse manure consultant/TO/Surveyor who actualy has some balls and has done the job at the coal face.

Tree officer is about qualifications and doing a good points score on the interview, ya gotta get those equal opportunities questions right.

I disagree, i've come from a background as a climber for years before going to work as a contractor for an LA, I was carrying out tree inspections for them and due to the experience and knowledge i have picked up rather than the formal qualifications I am now a Senior Tree officer with that LA. I have many NPTC's etc I believe I am lucky but it shows that experience still counts.

I disagree, i've come from a background as a climber for years before going to work as a contractor for an LA, I was carrying out tree inspections for them and due to the experience and knowledge i have picked up rather than the formal qualifications I am now a Senior Tree officer with that LA. I have many NPTC's etc I believe I am lucky but it shows that experience still counts.

and how long did you have this job?

apply today and find out a different story, if you was going for that role today, they would not entertain you.

I even have a friend who was asked in interview why if he was so interested in the role why had he wasted his time on arb contracting rather than direct his career that way earlier!

Those that have no experience at the coal face seem to assume that we have no aspirations or that doing the dirty work means your not "the type":lol: