Splanchnonema platani

sean

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mobile Elevated Work Platform

Thanks Matt, I thought something like this was meant.

The Dutch tree company Cobra, I am a parttime partner and consultant of, in 2008 has in cooperation with the Technical University of Eindhoven developed a high altitude inspection camera attached to a telescopical pole, which is mounted on a quad with a monitor and a recording device.

The camera has a 36x zoom lens and reaches up to 17 metres, thus making the inspection of Massaria on Platanus, detection of the fly out openings of Scolytus scolytus and the presence of occupied bird's nests from the ground floor possible without needing MEWP's.

See : Inspection of Platanus on Massaria

and : High Altitude Camera Inspection video.

-------

Thanks Matt, I thought something like this was meant.

The Dutch tree company Cobra, I am a parttime partner and consultant of, in 2008 has in cooperation with the Technical University of Eindhoven developed a high altitude inspection camera attached to a telescopical pole, which is mounted on a quad with a monitor and a recording device.

The camera has a 36x zoom lens and reaches up to 17 metres, thus making the inspection of Massaria on Platanus, detection of the fly out openings of Scolytus scolytus and the presence of occupied bird's nests from the ground floor possible without needing MEWP's.

See : Inspection of Platanus on Massaria

and : High Altitude Camera Inspection video.

-------

Interesting Gerrit, but cameras can't really take samples & quality pore shots, now can they.

I think It would be a very sad day if I totaly gave up the harness for a telescopic camera.

But interesting nonetheless, hadn't come across this technique before.

but cameras can't really take samples & quality pore shots, now can they. I think It would be a very sad day if I totaly gave up the harness for a telescopic camera.

David,

The camera has a 36x zoom lens and can be moved with more accuracy and much closer to outgoing affected branches then a man standing in a MEWP with binoculars or a camera can. Of course it can not take samples, but the quality of the video freeze frames or photo's is excellent, so it helps determining which tree has to be reinspected by a climber in harness and whether the tree is not too dangerous for a climber to have a closer look and take a sample. Besides, we don't have much Dutch climbers and the ones we have move abroad or work outside the country a lot.

And the use of the equipment in large scale Massaria monitoring alongside roads saves time and money compared to using MEWP or harness. In the two Dutch cities, where the equipment was tested, the method turned out to be reliable and less costly then the traditional monitoring of the trees, even if some trees had to be reinspected afterwards.

• 1 year later...

HI guys,

im am hoping to do a dissertation project on Splanchnonema platani. i was wondering how to approach it.

i am based in warwickshire, however my mother is based in london.

I have a few ideas in the pipeline. 1. Determine wether Massaria is apparent in local areas, such as Warwick, Leamington, Stratford. Gathering data from a area, and working a management plan to suit. i Have seen some possible cases, but not been able to take a cross section. i am worried that the cases may be to few and far between.

With known reported cases in london, there is defiantly a project there! but am more confused on how to create a original and worth while paper.

i have read the obvious books and search google for the related documents, however if anyone has and good sources, they will be gratefully received, as well as any pointers and criticism :)

thanks

HI guys,

im am hoping to do a dissertation project on Splanchnonema platani. i was wondering how to approach it.

i am based in warwickshire, however my mother is based in london.

I have a few ideas in the pipeline. 1. Determine wether Massaria is apparent in local areas, such as Warwick, Leamington, Stratford. Gathering data from a area, and working a management plan to suit. i Have seen some possible cases, but not been able to take a cross section. i am worried that the cases may be to few and far between.

With known reported cases in london, there is defiantly a project there! but am more confused on how to create a original and worth while paper.

i have read the obvious books and search google for the related documents, however if anyone has and good sources, they will be gratefully received, as well as any pointers and criticism :)

thanks

The London Tree Officers Association is in the process of putting together a guidance document on Massaria.

I understand that this is due for release soon.

worth keeping an eye open for it.

LTOA - The London Tree Officers Association

"The Massaria working party is made up of Mike Turner (Royal Parks), Neville Fay (Consultant), Peter Holloway (AA), Jake Tibbetts (Islington), Neil Taylor (Royal Parks).

A Massaria management document will be produced by August 2012 with a technical supporting document to follow."

Thanks David much appreciated.

Your welcome.

It may be worth speaking to Islington BC [email protected]

They've developed a recording sheet to populate with data from branches that are suspected of being infected with Massaria.

We are looking at using this or something similar during inspection &/or infected branch removal.