Footlocking

Dean Lofthouse

So has anyone any tips on which knot to use which you can put your weight on to rest but that doesn't tighten right up.

Thats the only problem I found, where you end up struggling with the friction hitch.

I use a klemheist tied loose, the beauty of a kelmheist is it will still grab reliably tied loose (and by loose i only mean a little loose). It can also grab a tapering spar which is usefull to know.

Play around with type of cord and diameter to get it just right.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here-in lies the secret. once you've hung on the knot to take a rest, the work involved in loosening the knot up again saps any energy to saved having your rest. best thing is to get fit enough to do the ascent in 1....but theres an easy way to rest without locking up your knot, take a good footlock and sit on your heels.

I use a klemheist tied loose, the beauty of a kelmheist is it will still grab reliably tied loose (and by loose i only mean a little loose). It can also grab a tapering spar which is usefull to know.

Play around with type of cord and diameter to get it just right.

I thought the Icicle hitch was the only knot that could grab a tapering spar.. didn't know the klemheist could too?

Depends which way its tapering......

Maybe i'm wrong about a klemhiest gripping a tapering spar, i know its similar to an icicle. And by tapering as in in what its gripping gets progressivly thinner.

Top tip about not resting, but I find sometimes on ascent I may want to stop and work or check something out.

Could never get on with a pantin, and cant footlock either so i just drop a loop, put one foot in it holding the loop up and stand.

Seems to work for me, dont know what its called though, Pete McGadget has seen me do it, could it be a half footlock?