Aerial rescue

Steve Bullman

W'eve been through pole rescue again recently and not much has changed. We still used our short rope to create a timber hitch with a pulley through the spliced eye as our anchor. It all becomes then a pain in the a** as you fight to get the casualty attached to the lowering rope, removing their flip-line etc etc etc.

As for aerial rescue, only one thing different from when I first done it. When dealing with an unconscious casualty your short rope that is used as a sling to hold them in place is now fixed back into their maillion rather than yours, just to save yours getting completely snarled up with loads of karabiners.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i did it at collage, to be fair its a priority to know a pole resue, alto can happen while chogging down, all pretty simple tho, topping strop, pully and a whoopy sling around the base with a capstain, clip the guy into the krabby on the lowering rope then attatch your self and make sure his/hers head and bits dont bash on the tgree as the groundsman lowers you both, also do not remove the harness if they have been hanging in the tree for some time because the instant rush of toxins will KILL them!!!!

just relese it slowly over a hr period and make sure they are sitting up against the tree or a wall because the recovery postion once again is useless, you need to get all the blood even again.......

Not wanting to turn this into a character assassination, but a fully qualified climber would know that rigging kit should not be used for PPE.

However, if I was unconcious at the top of a pole i don't think i would argue the point.

I would be questioning your college lecturers on the techniques they have taught you.:post:

Not wanting to turn this into a character assassination, but a fully qualified climber would know that rigging kit should not be used for PPE.

However, if I was unconcious at the top of a pole i don't think i would argue the point.

I would be questioning your college lecturers on the techniques they have taught you.:post:

hmmm they do suggest using a topping down strop etc using a back up system on the ground for rescue ops ...

as to help especially if unconcious or a larger build

so i would disagree with you blakes but in a nice way ...:ciao::beerglass:

following taken from climbers good guide etc

RESCUE METHOD C

3 person unit only

Diagram

The rescuer climbs to a suitable anchor point above the casualty taking the rescue rope up

with him/her. The rescue rope is passed over a suitable anchor point.

The rescuer descends to the casualty, assesses and makes safe any hazards which

threaten the casualty or would impede the rescue, e.g. chainsaw, other equipment/tools,

tree debris.

The rescuer assesses the casualty's condition making safe where necessary and

administers first aid if appropriate.

The rescuer attaches the casualty to the rescuer's harness to aid descent and prevent

separation of the casualty and rescuer. This may take the form of a short sling connected

by karabiners to both harnesses.

The rescue rope is attached to the casualty's harness.

The groundperson ties a prussic loop on the rescue rope attaching this to a suitable

anchorage (groundperson's harness, vehicle, tree, ground anchor, etc). This must have

sufficient friction to help the rescuer make a controlled descent.

The rescuer transfers the casualty's weight to the new connection, taking up any slack to

prevent the casualty falling any distance then disconnects or severs the casualty's

rope/strop.

The casualty is gently lowered by the groundperson whilst the rescuer guides him/her

through the branches or supports an injured limb.

If the casualty is conscious then the rescuer should be aware that the casualty is in a

position to 'help' during the rescue – this keeps the casualty occupied and aids rescue.

The casualty can be carried away from the tree whilst still attached to the rope, if

assistance is available.

Rescue teams need to practice methods regularly, to be effective in actual emergency

situations.

RESCUE METHOD D

2 or 3 person unit

Diagram

The rescuer climbs up to the casualty (using climbing irons and a strop) and with care,

makes a suitable anchor with a suitable topping down strop to which the rescuer’s climbing

system or a separate rescue rope is attached.

The rescuer assesses and makes safe any hazards which threaten the casualty or would

impede the rescue, e.g. chainsaw, other equipment/tools.

The rescuer assesses the casualty's condition making safe where necessary and

administers first aid if appropriate.

The rescuer attaches the casualty to the rescuer's harness as in rescue B or to the rescue

rope as in rescue C.

The casualty’s weight is transferred to the rescue system and the casualty’s spikes and

lanyard/climbing system are disconnected or severed.

The casualty is lowered to the ground by the rescuer or by the rescue rope.

If the casualty is conscious then the rescuer should be aware that the casualty is in a

position to 'help' during the rescue, this keeps the casualty occupied and aids rescue.

Rescue teams need to practice methods regularly, to be effective in actual emergency

situations.

ADDITIONAL ITEMS

3 If the casualty is unconscious or injury prevents him/her assisting the rescuer the gaffs

on his/her climbing irons and/or strop tension can severely hinder release by the

rescuer. In such cases the ground personnel must relieve the weight on the strop

and/or gaffs so that the rescuer can safely release the casualty's strop.

TimR, you have missed my point. A topping strop is recommended to help with the rescue, but this should not be part of your rigging kit. RIGGING KIT SHOULD NOT BE USED AS PPE.

vduben also says to use the lowering rope (again rigging kit), he also recommends using a capstan to lower the casualty, this is not recommended in the Guide to good climbing practise, as this would not "fail to safe".

In practise vdubens methods would work and probaly be quicker than correct procedures, however this thread started as a learning tool for the correct way.

TimR, you have missed my point. A topping strop is recommended to help with the rescue, but this should not be part of your rigging kit. RIGGING KIT SHOULD NOT BE USED AS PPE.

vduben also says to use the lowering rope (again rigging kit), he also recommends using a capstan to lower the casualty, this is not recommended in the Guide to good climbing practise, as this would not "fail to safe".

In practise vdubens methods would work and probaly be quicker than correct procedures, however this thread started as a learning tool for the correct way.

i got you now blakes apologies.....

correct way ...... 1. shout up "can you get yourself down" if answer yes have a coffee if answer is no or no reply .....

2. make gob cut shout to hold on and cut :ciao:

3.clear up mess.

if the chippers good enough for pigeons .... :)........

i got you now blakes apologies.....

correct way ...... 1. shout up "can you get yourself down" if answer yes have a coffee if answer is no or no reply .....

2. make gob cut shout to hold on and cut :ciao:

Ahem.... if he doesnt reply, how do you know he's not unconscious? If unconscious, he wont know to hold on and may get a slight bump on the way down. Oh well, see there are several climbers advertising for work :smokin:

Wouldnt recommend chipping without removing the harness, it may be useful in future for a cash strapped trainee.

On a Treevolution rigging course I did way back in the 90's, we did speed-lines, and at the end of the course we set one up for a rescue situation, and lowered the "casualty" down the speed-line, every rescue scenario can be completely different, and sometimes you have to think on your feet and use whatever tools you have to get the casualty down.

• 1 month later...

we are having a rescue day on monday but we are trashing some kit as well

couple of pairs of boots to cut

different trousers to cut

2 metal strops to cut

shockloading an old ms200t on an old harness to see which bit brakes

and doing grumpy training grumpy is pet name for grcs