Aerial rescue

Steve Bullman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just thought id add my bit.... i recently did my cs 38 now climb trees and perform ariel rescue. on the test i only did the rescue where you just attach them to youself and guide them down using theirs and your ropes. this also had to be full role play. I then had to do the rescue where you put them on your line. this wasnt full role play and we even swapped over half way down the tree so we didnt have to keep going up and down the tree. however i was told you have to also no a 3 man pole rescue where your groundy lowers them using a figure of 8 but also how to do it without a figure of eigth using nots and a karabiner. and you also have to know a 2 man pole rescue just you and the casualty basically put a false crotch in and then the same as before putting them on your line. Even if you dont have to actually do the rescue you still have to tell the assesor how you would do it and show them the nots and stuff.

Another scenario that isnt pactised by many people is how to do a footlock rescue. Start work on a cold morning, set line in the tree and footlock up. After 15m the climber starts cramping up and can no longer go any further. Youve only got a few minutes before suspension trauma can set in. Or perhaps long hair gets trapped in hitch? How do you rescue the climber? This happened here and it was a very experienced guy that had to be resued. Admitadley(sorry for spelling) its a rare situation but hopefully all rescues should be a rare occurence. I will post pics of rescue tech.

The placethat i work at has a mandatory afternoon at least once a month to practice aerial rescues.The thing that we noticed was that people tend to pracice rescue from an easy spot in the tree instead of getting into an awkward place with weird body position. Surely this is the spot that an accident is more likely to happen? also company policy to carry spare hitch on harness to enable rescue from a damaged line. some people think this all OTT but personaly i think its nice and reassuring

yer im at college with Craig.

I think its a good idea to practise it regularly at least then you would no that if you needed to be rescued there would be someone with you that could do it and get you down safely and quickly rather than some groundie that hasn't climbed since he did his CS38 years ago and hasn't practised rescues since passing and doesnt really remember what to do.

O.k am I again being a complete moron in thinking what i'm about to type.

Basically that using lowering kit to resuce someone is not reccomended because its not PPE? If something is fit for lowering down huge chunks of wood, how can it not be fit for aerial rescue?

I fully understand that rigging gear must be kept seperate from personal climbing kit, yet I feel a good rigging kit that is well maintained and regularly checked would be the most suitable way of performing a pole rescue when no other kit is to hand, and should be used without hesitation.

I trust our rigging kit to lower safley massive pieces of wood, how could it possibly be unsuitable for lowering a human in an emergency.

Have I missed something?

Although after reading this I think i'm going to purchase a rescue figure of 8 for my climbing kit, I already have a small loopie, pilleys and some slings, so i'd have everything to hand. The rescue 8 would also be handy as a lowering device for rigging :D

• 2 months later...

Marc

with ref to PPE-PFPS v rigging you are correct under the requirments of LOLER the two should be clearly seperated and marked as such, best practice and acops then tell us that we should not use them at cross purposes, unless in exceptional circumstances such as a rescue.

so from a point of view of day to day operations you do not mmix them, but should they be needed for a recue then if you like that is what they call an exceptional violation, but acceptedly.

as you say your rigging kit should be perfectly caperble of supporting a casulty, but best practice seperates them.

as for the question about 2nd line for rescue nptc assessors are advised that if a candidate indicates such an action on there RA they can use that method in there rescue.

for a full list of the cs38 requirments you can go to http://www.nptc.org.uk