Aerial rescue

Steve Bullman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously no names here. At one point all our ground crew were CS38 holders. We used to do practice sessions. About a month after 3 of them qualified we did a practice in 3 40ft oaks. Not one of them managed to get the victims down in less than 45 mins.

For this and other reasons, I have very little faith in the NPTC system. IMO it should be a legal requirement that aerial rescue personnel should undergo testing and retraining at least once a year.

I'm agreat believer in not getting overly tied up in methods. If someones dying, last thing you need is the newbie groundcrew panicking about which rope to use. It has to almost be an unconscious act. I guess that means lots of practice. But how many employers will see it as an investment in the workforce as opposed to a loss in income?

I did my course / assessment about a month ago.

On the course Pole Rescues were discussed , drawn on the whiteboard but that was about it.

The assessor just asked us a few questions, to make sure we knew the basics I guess ?

I think when you do a CS38 course you should go through as many rescue scenarios as time permits. You're going to be assessed on an 'A' rescue anyway, but the other 3 should all be practiced by the students.

Some people think that practising a pole rescue is too risky for students. Bowlarks!, the 3 man and 2 man pole rescues should both be practiced. If (nightmare scenario) you had to do a pole rescue, the first time you ever do it should'nt have to be for real!.

Make sure you get your moneys worth from your instructors, then practice with the blokes you work with and the equipment you'll have to use on the day.

• 3 weeks later...
bump......how are you expected to clip yourself to the victim these days in an assessment?

Just done my assessment, we used a spare prussik loop & a three way krab. we found the best way was to girth hitch the prussik loop to your bridge, pass the krab through the victims bridge & clip it back to your bridge. This meant you couldnt drop the prussik loop as your fumbling round up the tree.