Aerial rescue

Steve Bullman

i took my cs38 today, i was really nervous as last night i read on here about having to do a pole rescue which we didnt even cover on the training.

seems i worried over nothing as we only had to perform rescue A and B.

heres how the assessment went

questions about LOLER, PUWER, what to tell emer serv in case of accident etc,

tied a 3 knot system on a single rope,

tied a normal setup then up the tree,

branch walk,

rescue A and B.

cup of coffee and a smoke:)

im definitely going to try and get regular practice in, once a month or even every other month.

if i ever need rescuing i want someone who knows what they're doing, not someone who stands there scratching their arse.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did mine back in January. Pretty much the same except we didn't do any questions until we'd done the practical side.

And also no sign of a pole rescue even been considered.

Done in a morning with time to get to the pub for lunch.

:)

Looking at it like the driving test, you know what to do just need to learn to do it in the real world.

Well done chaps, i started the first day of my training today. bit windy and i was a bit put off but i am looking forward to tomorrow to show myself i can do it and there is nothing to worry about.:icon14:

a good tip, have faith in your kit.

i didnt and suffered for the first morning of climbing.

let us know how it goes.

enjoy yourself:icon14:

a good tip, have faith in your kit.

i didnt and suffered for the first morning of climbing.

let us know how it goes.

enjoy yourself:icon14:

Thanks Colin, i am looking forward to today and will let you all know how it goes. I need to trust the kit like you say.

Hi chaps

hope all the training is going well, just a couple of points i note from above.

with regard to pole recue et al in a nut shell you must do rescue A two ropes both long enough, the second resue is entirly at the descresion of the assessor, they can pic any one of the remaining 3 rescues. it used to be any rescue at the descresion of the assessor, but no longer chois of 3 only.

i am concerned that you did not get any pole rescue training on your cource, to my mind it is actually one of the esiest rescues in the book, and i hate spikes.

in the forum there is another thread about nptv v lantra, if you were on a lantra regested cource you should have been trained and practiced all 4 rescues.

for training i love doing climb and rescue and also med and large trees, there just satisfying cources to run.

dont forget though there is more than 4 ways to rescue and any good training will encorage you to think out side the nptc box, because if you plan for the worst you will never be supprised.

cheers all

arbocop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

done my 38 not that long ago infact it was end of jan we done it.

consisted of:

going down to tree

questions about risk assessment

climb tree

branch walk

rescue A and B

then the questions in the nptc script for 1 of a better word.