'ARB Show'

AA Teccie (Paul)

We made a last minute decision to go on Friday as we were sick of being wet through most days last week.

Turned out a real nice day. :001_smile:

Nice to catch up with a few people and met Steve and Andy C on the arbtalk stand.

Pete B, I'll pass those crane details onto my friend.

Got down in 3 hrs :biggrin:, but took 4 1/2 to get back with crap traffic :thumbdown:

Nice day out and the lads appreciated it.

Personally, I thought it was a lot quieter than last years show.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that this years show was possibly the most easy to do from the point of an exhibitor, helpful staff, free telehandler and at the end, relatively short wait to get the trucks on. Thanks, for that side of things. I'm pretty sure that a "roving" show would be more attractive - you'll always have the "too far to come" type visitor, so take the show to them.

Over night camping and facilities would be attractive as well.

It's interesting that footfall is the measure of your success, As far as I'm concerned, a five man gang with one buyer is a footfall of one! Remember, no sales, no exhibitors, no show. Yes, the exhibitors need to have the right tools at the right price but with no buyers there, why should we go?

Ditto above, had a good show and will be back next year.

One small point we got there at 8.00am (left home at 5am) on the Thursday for set up. No toilets until about 11am, then on breakdown they had stopped us using the toilets by 5.00. With hundreds of exhibitors still on site, and long journeys ahead it would be nice if they are left until the end and there before we get there.:001_smile: Still a great show for us.:thumbup:

I think you should ask the question, why do people attend these shows anyway?

For me its only 30% about kit and equipment (sorry justin) and 70% about meeting friends and having a drink with people I'll only see a couple of times a year. I think from reading this thread others have the same priorities. With that in mind I think a more central location would be better, since the AA is a national organisation I think it should reflect that with a central location, or alternate between north and south.

Or even dare I say it; scotland.

30% is fine Tom it's good for us to just meet the people we talk to on the phone all year as well, and show of some of the new things you may not need yet, but at least if gives you a chance to see stuff you may need in the future.:001_smile:

The Jonesies love the social side as well we had a table for 20 in the curry house on Friday night.:thumbup:

Indeed.

Guys, I am watching and listening here.

I will caht with Simon 'Risk Assessment' Richmond here but I'm sure he would have taken that into account (Simon is the AA person responsible for organising the show and liaising with the Bathurst Estate).

Forgive me but I'm not sure if that Pine was in the car park or in the show, within knoddy's plot, this time but either way I wouldn't have been unduly concerned BUT this conclusion should have dreived from a RA approach.

The other issue regarding cars parked within RPZs, the truth is probably we didn't consider that (which isn't good) BUT the soil is very free draining overlying Cotswold limestone and it was rock hard so no, or very little, complaction would occur. Again tho very good point taken on board.

Many thanks..

Paul

One point, a lady came up looking for a separate ladies/gents facilities, fortunately I knew they were down the other end (from where we were) so maybe a couple of signs to help people find their way around? Re: catering, I know a couple of people had under-cooked jacket potatoes, not exactly rocket science to prepare, but I'm not out to find fault.

Edited by Andy Collins

I had a great time, always good to catch up with friends old and new, look at kit, and talk shop over a few beers.

However, if we hadn't stayed on site doing security for Justin, there would have been no beer for me, and a hotel bill. Unacceptable!

I don't think the AA owes the Bathurst estate anything.

Paul, I think if you held a poll, you would find the majority would be keen to move venue, even just slightly more central would help. Oxford? Leicester?

This would have an additional advantage in showing that the AA do listen to the masses!

Lets make the show as good as it should be!