'ARB Show'

AA Teccie (Paul)

Well "I did ask..!"

THANK YOU all for taking the time to reply and I have been hastily making notes whilst reading your posts and I will feed them into the post event review meeting.

Many valid points are made, some we completely overlook and I'm sorry for that. I think this is another example of the AA doing what we believe is something good and which will benefit the industry...trouble is (again) we don't check with the industry. That said, to be honest, we do actively seek feedback as people leave the show ground and much (most) of it is positive BUT that's only the people who attend and not the majority that don't.

I will reply to some specifc emails where people raise particular points to accompany this.

If anyone has further views please do let me know.

Thanks again all..

Paul

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been to the AA show once (two years ago) and wasn't supprised by the food/beer situation as its much the same at many events I visit, but there's always room for improvement! I'd like to have come down this time but the lack of sunday opening and long drive have forced me to miss out. May be next year...

IMO the AA show lacks character,TBH it feels like another money grabbing venture the AA are so fond of, its a bit like Saltex, the APF and Capel Manor are by far the best two shows, I'll definitely be at the APF!

P.S shouldn't the AA be a registered company? using charity status doesn't fool anyone! sorry if I sound harsh, but this is what we all think...

Lee, thank you.

If you are saying what many are thinking then "gud'on'ya" for doin so n sayin it... absoluetly NO apology needed (sounds very much like myself thru life!)

I'm interested you say that APF is better (I completely understand about Capel) than the AA show...is that not 'money grabbing' too (in context)?...in other words is APF free entry?

The AA really doesn't seek to grab your hard earned cash. There are many things we do for whihc we have to charge, in oredr to both covere expenses incurred and allow for development of new projects etc., but we seek to charge a fair price for a fair service (sorry, not good wording but you know what I mean.)

In terms of the AA business status it is both a 'registered charity' AND a 'limited company' (in fact it is 2 limited companies as the 'AA' is one and 'AATL', whihc is where the approved contractor & registered consultants sit). Trading accounts are available to ALL AA members or you can, I believe, obtain a copy from Companies House (I understand there may be a charge for this.)

All emails, and other corresondence from the AA, should carry the relevant reg. nos. etc. indicating our limited company status. Ultimately the Association has to make a surplus to ensure financial viability AND to reinvest in it's products and services. To be honest part of the proble at the moment is that the Association is at a point where it needs a certain level of resource to operate, which incurs significant overheads, BUT we don't have the necessary critical mass, in terms of 'members' etc., to allow us to reinvest significantly as not enough surplus is generated...if that makes sense?!

Anyway I'm waffling again so as I close, if I may, I will say again we are not here to make you part from your hard earned cash. If you fell what we do / say is worth supporting, and to the benefit of the industry, then join with us...if not then please let me know why?..thanks!

Cheers..

Paul

PS John, thankfully the cold n chewy 'cheese burger n chips' have been down long enough not to choke on.....but not sure they're yet digested!

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

BUT we don't have the necessary critical mass, in terms of 'members' etc., to allow us to reinvest significantly as not enough surplus is generated...if that makes sense?!

Cheers..

Paul

i have always felt cut off from the aa, and felt this at last years show, a them and us atmosphere, them being the aa members doing the lectures and seminars, us being me, just an ordinary tree worker, is there a way of the aa targeting us 'ordinary' tree workers?

I would have loved to have gone, dont like football, more of a Rugby/Boxing man soi it wouldnt have mattered. However i have to work, my friend owns a extream out doors company and i prommised him i would work for him not remembering the AA show.

Sorry Paul:blushing:

No worries Johnty, gud'on'ya for helping out yer friends.

Hope to see you next time, or indeed sometime before the next show.

Cheers..

Paul

i have always felt cut off from the aa, and felt this at last years show, a them and us atmosphere, them being the aa members doing the lectures and seminars, us being me, just an ordinary tree worker, is there a way of the aa targeting us 'ordinary' tree workers?

Josh, I'd luv to, and (very) naively we thought we were, albeit principally through the approval schemes AND offering 'Ordinary' AA membership for £50.

BUT they are token gestures, I acknowledge (although certainly not meant as such), somehow we need to better engage and have better representation within the AA for the grass roots workers (who without whihc we wouldn't have an industry!)

G*d, I sound like a politician again here...SORRY!!!

Any thoughts on how this cabn be acheived PLEASE let me know, I'll give it some thought too.

Thanks..

Paul

Q: Why are the AA only now asking these questions, surely this should have been looked at after last years show so the issues could be dealt with in time for 2010? Better late than never I suppose, perhaps they under-estimated the power of communication!:confused1:

YEP Andy, ur right...'communication' is key and last year we didn't have this valuable communication link with the industry.

I sincerely hope it is better late than never and I absolutely promise ALL these comments / views will be feed back this time...coz I'll be doing so first hand.

Many thanks for um..!

Paul

I thought that as well Andy, there have been several ‘AA Arb Show’ threads knocking about for a fair while, all have more or less the same feed-back.

I fear tomorrow morning will be greeted with cans of over-priced beer and rip-off food and we have not been listened to. :thumbdown:

John, what's your 'beer' n I'll pick you a 4-pack up on my way in?

Jokin apart PLEASE don't hold your breath for tomorrow as I can't change much between 'now and then'...BUT I will do my absolute utmost for next time round.

Again, as with Andy's post, I'm sorry I haven't seen the feedback form previous threads BUT I have now n that's enough.

Cheers..

Paul

PS PLEASE give me a shout tomorrow, it'd be great to catch up with you (nearly said I'd love to meet you, whihc obvioulsy I would, BUT better not to say things like that on here eh?...folks'd talk!)