Excessive sharpening.

Mark Bolam

whats a norton 3x wheel thought they had to be round ground, at least liquid ground, or is this just supplier myth

Norton 3x are just fast cutting ceramic grinding wheels.

Norton Abrasives Products and Accessories

You can dry grind chipper blades no problem just don't blue the edges. As for hollow grind, personally I never have, with no ill effect or loss in efficiency.

In fact bench grinders do hollow grind to a lesser degree. On a 4.5" wheel you wouldn't tell the difference.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bit of a tangent, but bare with me...

a company i worked for used to offer ski/ snowboard servicing. now bare in mind that if you sharoen your own edges you could get years of life from a board,,, i personally witnessed that (totally legally and not in any way out of the ordinary) using a machine the edge could be sharpened approx. 6 times before the board was ready for the bin... this is pretty much the same with chainsaw chains,, DIY= get plenty of life. get it done by machine= see the life of your chain reduced to a fraction of the time....

it's one of those things i'm afraid...

We always get our blades sharpened professionally, but the company knows what they are doing and typically asks whether the blades are to be skimmed or taken back further. In 7 years we've only had one issue and that was where it appeared that one of the blades, or knives as they call them, had been dropped and had a nick in the edge. As I say this company are good and usually point out defects to us, i.e. hairline cracks.

bit of a tangent, but bare with me...

a company i worked for used to offer ski/ snowboard servicing. now bare in mind that if you sharoen your own edges you could get years of life from a board,,, i personally witnessed that (totally legally and not in any way out of the ordinary) using a machine the edge could be sharpened approx. 6 times before the board was ready for the bin... this is pretty much the same with chainsaw chains,, DIY= get plenty of life. get it done by machine= see the life of your chain reduced to a fraction of the time....

it's one of those things i'm afraid...

I've never seen a chainsaw chain sharpened properly on a machine anyway. Much better by hand IMO

I would pop back with both sets and ask why the set they have sharpened has lost so much edge. It is reasonable to expect that if you are careful then both sets should be roughly the same length. A discrepancy of that magnitude would lead me to think that a mistake has occured and by mischance you have received somone else's blades. :sneaky2:

Your not going prove negligence or over sharpening so you will get nowt from arguing, but a polite enquiry may bring the right result and maintain the client/customer relationship.

Failing that - take your business elsewhere!

Isn't it dodgy to sharpen them yourself thoug don't they need to be the same weight for balance etc or is that bull

thats bull, i used to use saturn knives on ocassion when i couldnt be bothered to grind myself, they came back un-equal in every way possible, theres a pic on here of them. what hacked me off was on their website they had something about '1 degree out causes mayhem' sent them back straight away, had them resharpened properly for free, but lost about 6 sharpens in the process