chin strap

Tom2020

Well this has open'd my eyes... Ill go in tomorrow say what i have been told and..They will just say "Well don't fall out the tree" Then ill get shouted at about refusing to climb....Its a lose lose

Why will they shout at you? If they're giving you the wrong equipment, it should be you shouting at them! :thumbdown:

IMO, If you feel strongly enough about the matter, Go and see whoever is in charge of the college or the Health and Safety manager and let them know how you feel (without losing it!!).

I'd put good money on the fact that the college bosses probably don't even know the difference in husky ground helmets or 3 point chin straps.

Best of luck mate, If you feel uncorfortable with something that you're being asked to do, Don't worry about getting shouted at, Just do what you're happy with.

(There is plenty of time to get shouted at when you leave college and start work!!! haha!!:thumbup:)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ask them to see whats on the front page of the assessment criteria and a copy of AFAG 401

how sad i knew that number

We all know you count AFAG's instead of counting sheep to get to sleep Bob :001_tongue::thumbup1:

Just an update on it

Went in to college and spoke to my tutor all he had to say on it was

"We only need to provide you with the basic equipment if your not happy with the equipment you can buy your own and bring it in to use.The husky helmets are more then safe to be used while climbing ill ask the head of the college if we can get new helmets but don't hold your breath"

So looks like i have got no where AGAIN same old crap

Thats shocking mate. I can remember the Husky "style" hats and they would forever be slipping off and backwards without the ear defenders on.

If I were you, I'd be paying the head of the college a visit myself....

Just an update on it

Went in to college and spoke to my tutor all he had to say on it was

"We only need to provide you with the basic equipment if your not happy with the equipment you can buy your own and bring it in to use.The husky helmets are more then safe to be used while climbing ill ask the head of the college if we can get new helmets but don't hold your breath"

So looks like i have got no where AGAIN same old crap

Since the use of the helmet is coming in for criticism it might be better to refer to it an EN397 standard helmet rather than attaching the name of an otherwise innocent company to it. Husky aren’t the only ones with their name on a 397 helmet.

It’s a simple fact that the 397 standard helmet only provides impact protection to the crown, the lateral impact protection is negligible. It is in effect a builders helmet with ear muffs and a visor and the bit of nicker elastic chinstrap isn’t suitable for work at height.

AFAG (401) and the HSE have clearly set out the standard they want to see. You might try pointing that out to the college.

Since the use of the helmet is coming in for criticism it might be better to refer to it an EN397 standard helmet rather than attaching the name of an otherwise innocent company to it. Husky aren’t the only ones with their name on a 397 helmet.

It’s a simple fact that the 397 standard helmet only provides impact protection to the crown, the lateral impact protection is negligible. It is in effect a builders helmet with ear muffs and a visor and the bit of nicker elastic chinstrap isn’t suitable for work at height.

AFAG (401) and the HSE have clearly set out the standard they want to see. You might try pointing that out to the college.

No, but, they are the only manufacturer (that I know of) that has cut the peak off there helmets with what looks like it might have been a jigsaw, cutting right throught the date stamp, and then called the helmet the climbers version.

So the husky helmet with no peak and a chin strap is often sold as a climbers helmet. Or has been in the past, don't know if they still are.

No, but, they are the only manufacturer (that I know of) that has cut the peak off there helmets with what looks like it might have been a jigsaw, cutting right throught the date stamp, and then called the helmet the climbers version.

So the husky helmet with no peak and a chin strap is often sold as a climbers helmet. Or has been in the past, don't know if they still are.

Hi Rupe

You do have a point as ever.

There are plenty of folks out there selling reduced peak helmets. Sordin and ESL both spring to mind.

They were all sold them as climbers helmets but that was before the HSE made their “strong recommendation” and for a long time they were all that was on offer unless you wanted to spend plenty on adapting the Petzl ecrin.

Andy

Husky aren’t the only ones with their name on a 397 helmet.

The only reason why i am talking about the husky helmets is that's what i use in college.

I would of thought the college would of been Top on Health and saftey as we are in-experience students and more like to have an accident.Then some 1 who been doing it for 10 or so years.