chin strap

Tom2020

When we first started using the Petzl's the ear defender and visor configuration was bolted through the side so about half an inch of M6 bolt protruded into the space between the hat and your head. Really inspired confidence. As usual, note to self,'don't slip.'

All our guys use the newer petzl with the Husqvarna ears as they are all expected to climb, but they all have full visors as they are expected to chip as well.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that in many people's minds the husky peakless IS still a climbers helmet.

I've personally never owned or worn one, I went directly from earmuffs on a headband to a petzl ecrin roc in about '95-96. I have a good collection of old mouldy ecrins!

Vertex is the best IMO. Unless you want to look like a power ranger, then go for the stein one,

or "le helmet stain" as they say in france!

When we first started using the Petzl's the ear defender and visor configuration was bolted through the side so about half an inch of M6 bolt protruded into the space between the hat and your head. Really inspired confidence. As usual, note to self,'don't slip.'

All our guys use the newer petzl with the Husqvarna ears as they are all expected to climb, but they all have full visors as they are expected to chip as well.

Good point. They were supposed to be attached with dowm head bolts with the nut on the outside but many were attached with waht ever came to hand.

We have husky helmets that live in the chipper hopper for chipping, and petzl ones (without visors) in our climbing bags for climbing.

We used to buy the Husky ones as they were lots cheaper and I was the main climber but my guys now are a picky bunch, and rightly so. HSE don't like you keeping your lids in the hopper as they get damaged and dirty. They told us off during their annual visit to our yard.

I went directly from earmuffs on a headband to a petzl ecrin roc in about '95-96. I have a good collection of old mouldy ecrins!

Yup me too. I bought mine from Craig complete with earmufs and visor.

If you start a mouldy old ecrin thread I will dig mine out.:thumbup1:

tom when you go into myerscoughs climbing room go into the caged off bit, there are some edelrid climbing lids in there, they have the earmuffs and a visor, i dont know how old they are so i wouldnt trust them, but they are better than the husky ones, the visor looks as thought it would always get in the way as instead of folding upwards, it flips out and just catches on everything.

Mick Cottam is your guy to speak to, he did help write the good guide to climbing practice! WHy they never had proper climbing helmets always amazed me, but the people and students there dont always know any difference.

How can we know if a ropes been shock loaded or someone stuck a spike in it but left no pulled strands? I can use my own systems better for having the nice easy low and slow practice at myerscough.

Jim, tony and rob are all good guys, but they seem like they are getting a 'yeah whatever itll be ok' attitude, when i climb for a different guy who used to be an nptc instructor and assessor and somewhere up in the NPTC, he is always there on the ground with his eyes trained on me, if i really need him, he will happily come up the tree. It makes you feel so much safer. Because you are under instruction, you should have that one-to-one in the tree help. It is the best thing for amateur climbers to have.

rant over!

Some of the lads have got there cs 38 2morro and the Guy is ment to be Top on health and saftey Everything by the BOOK!!!

Think i will pick his brains 2morro as i need to go in a ground for some 1

I have mine a week 2morro and im bricking it Its only the ???? and the rescue im unsure on ..Im fine with the climbing :)

But i will be amazed in what he has to say about it.

Rob i will have a look round 2morro as well most of the stuff has been moved around a a fair few things have been scrapped for no good reason think it was to make room dunno what for

Come to think of it, When I did my course 2 years ago we were also using groundie helmets when we started climbing. None of us were any the wiser.

Fortunately, I got a good deal on a Peztl Vertex vent before we got onto the chainsaw up a tree stuff. :001_smile:

Sorry for the late replay

Been in to college and spoke to the head of the college said about the helmets and even showed him this thread His replay was its up to the tutor on what they think is safe

So getting no where with him

An nptc person came in to do a cs38 with some of the lads..All passed

I asked him are the helmets where safe.

His replay was down to the college i will go back and ask them what is going on

Might get some where with him.

The only requirment was that the helmets needed to have a chain strap and they would be safe to climb in so any helmet is safe to climb in to him

Went in and spoke to my tutor about it all.

His replay was.

The course has no more funding so no new ppe and no 1 will go in for anything now till next year

So all in all still getting no where