Bugs, bees and beasties- Bio-diversity matters

White Noise

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what settings?

just out of interest of course, trying to get similar results myself but struggling at the mo

What kit are you using, compact or dslr? I used aperture priority for this set,with the highest aperture setting (f8) to give the best depth of field,with a flash to keep the shutter speed up. I often go for manual settings,max aperture value,fast shutter speed to eliminate any camera shake(I work hand held on this sort of thing)and adjust the flash with a test shot or two,you will lose any backdrop this way,as it will be underexposed,I like to stick at low iso settings in case you need to crop the image later.

The trick here is to use an achromatic close up filter with maximum camera zoom(not digital zoom),then you are not right up close to the subject with the camera,these were taken from about a foot away.

The achromatic close ups are made of two bits of glass,giving much better resolution,& eliminating aberation,they come in different dioptre strengths,and you can stack them,strongest on first.

If you are using a compact camera with no chance of banging a macro lens on then google 'Raynox',the DCR250 is very strong,the Dcr150 less so,they will clip on to a lot of compacts,and are very reasonably priced with superb quality.

Rant over!

pm me what camera you are using & I will see if I can be more specific.:001_smile:

What kit are you using, compact or dslr? I used aperture priority for this set,with the highest aperture setting (f8) to give the best depth of field,with a flash to keep the shutter speed up. I often go for manual settings,max aperture value,fast shutter speed to eliminate any camera shake(I work hand held on this sort of thing)and adjust the flash with a test shot or two,you will lose any backdrop this way,as it will be underexposed,I like to stick at low iso settings in case you need to crop the image later.

The trick here is to use an achromatic close up filter with maximum camera zoom(not digital zoom),then you are not right up close to the subject with the camera,these were taken from about a foot away.

The achromatic close ups are made of two bits of glass,giving much better resolution,& eliminating aberation,they come in different dioptre strengths,and you can stack them,strongest on first.

If you are using a compact camera with no chance of banging a macro lens on then google 'Raynox',the DCR250 is very strong,the Dcr150 less so,they will clip on to a lot of compacts,and are very reasonably priced with superb quality.

Rant over!

pm me what camera you are using & I will see if I can be more specific.:001_smile:

wow i just point and press mine:blushing:

I'm chuffed with this as it's my first one :thumbup1:

Female Purple Hairstreak (Neozephyrus quercus)

It's either very newly emerged and hasn't pumped it's wings properly and been knocked out of the canopy or it has been damaged in some way as it's very unusual to see it on the ground.

DSC00690.jpg.3c598eb5fcfa9319138a8a01164c0c36.jpg

DSC00689.jpg.bbe4ec34ad90ae304c739ae807d231c1.jpg

DSC00688.jpg.4c3960cbffc6e077ffa684cfb37f3dc2.jpg

DSC00687.jpg.ee60cb4f74ea396637205339d8048e64.jpg

Nice pics and id's Janey & Matt,heres a speckled bush cricket Leptophyes punctatissima).

On a Hypericum?

More great shots from you geoff :thumbup1:

They're a nice set of pics of that Marbled white, Matt. Are you still out surveying?