stumpgrinding price per inch

John Shutler

i dont understand how youy can price a stump by the inch. an 18 inch stump has an area of 1017.87602 square inches, where as a 6 inch stump has an area of

113.09734 square inches. so you are charging 3 times as much for nearly 10 times the work.

Exactly. I've repeated this over and over for ages. Bidding by the linear inch is a sure way to get burned.

However, there's more variables, notably, the required depth specified, and how much mounded area of roots and buttress roots there is that must be ground.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have a minimum charge anyway, mine is £50 -60. Then ontop of that I reckon on £60 per hour nice and steady plus a set of finger teeth and juice

By your reckoning Ian you'll end up charging £30 for a 10" stump that could be down steps and across 50ft wide flower beds :001_smile:

Like i said, i have a min charge normally 50 quid or so but the per inch charge is a rough gestimate way of pricing, if it was say 36" across the widest point and it was say a pop stump i might drop it a bit to say 85 quid, it just gives you a guide to work from and as has been said saves driving round looking at stumps if you havnt taken the tree down in the first place. I also never charge for a new set of teeth per job like some i have heard of, i grind them up on a regular basis.

i dont understand how youy can price a stump by the inch. an 18 inch stump has an area of 1017.87602 square inches, where as a 6 inch stump has an area of

113.09734 square inches. so you are charging 3 times as much for nearly 10 times the work.

True, but the clean wood is not really much of a problem, its the stones and crap round the edges that cause the problems so bigger stumps are better for this, plus every body gets discount for bulk orders:001_smile:

I did 6 months grinding for a company about 6 years ago, They won a council contract to grind all the street tree stumps and i was the only one with the ticket, So got stuck with the job :laugh1:

Back then they charged the council £4 an inch for that contract