Sawdust Wanted

bobfothergill

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a friendly forum where people do come together and learn and help each other out... no idea why renewable John appears to be so antagonistic in his posts especially to a newbie who's only just joined this forum!? :confused1:

Stick at it and see what others say. I for one produce loads of sawdust from milling operations down in hampshire but it certainly isn't clean!

But it would be free if you wanted to collect it....

Postage???

what do you pay for 28kg 2-3 days service anywhere except highlands and islands we pay £6.00 Box at 50p-100 each plus liner strapping labels etc so we get around £7.50 per 28kg

How much is that in your book per tonne eh? I am listing 1000kg at £289.00 currently

Is this a friendly forum where people come together to learn from each other and support each other make a living?

I posted on here to hopefully buy what others are throwing away to the benefit of all including the disabled and disadvantaged people who get support from the project.

This is a friendly forum where people do come together and learn and help each other out... no idea why renewable John appears to be so antagonistic in his posts especially to a newbie who's only just joined this forum!? :confused1:

Because he has his eye on some grant money to start a similar operation:sneaky2:

Because he has his eye on some grant money to start a similar operation:sneaky2:

How am I being antagonistic ??

A simple question of how much they were prepared to pay for the sawdust.

A offer of G30 woodchip which we would be able to supply

An assertion that they could afford to pay a reasonable rate for their sawdust given that they are advertising on ebay a price in excess of £500 a tonne.

I like many on here are not a registered charity and cannot afford to give a valuable product away free of charge.

Skyhuck

I am already in the business of producing Briquettes and Wood Pellets from sawdust bought at market rates. The grant I am currently applying for is to convert Arb Waste into Torrefied Briquettes and Torrefied Wood Pellets which are equivalent in energy content to coal.

Come on - I'm not going to pick apart your posts and analyse it to show how you're being antagonistic... But the way you wrote and the curt tone of your posts was not particularly friendly IMO and from the way bobfothergill replied it seems he felt the same way.

It takes a lot for some people to start to posting on a public forum as they are nervous about the reaction/replies they receive. Arbtalk has a good reputation for being an open and friendly forum which welcomes all comers in this industry. A bad experience early on can easily put them off.

Thanks for the replies

We have never yet paid for sawdust as we have always had it free to help clear joiners when they are paying to get rid of it.

But we are more than willing to pay for the right stuff we have just never found anyone selling the right stuff at the right price. Very high quality dust extracted guaranteed particle size is easy to come by but is far to expensive for us!

What have you got ?

Rob D

All I am asking from the statement above is to establish the price which is acceptable for the right stuff. On previous threads on Arbtalk I have quoted a price we are prepared to pay for sawdust so I do find it slightly unreasonable for the charity card to be thrown in and expect Arbtalk members to give a product away free when it is actually worth money to them.

I apologise if I have come over as antagonistic but offering to supply timber of a quality to make briquettes is not something a competitor normally does to allow a new entrant into the market place.

Rob D

All I am asking from the statement above is to establish the price which is acceptable for the right stuff. On previous threads on Arbtalk I have quoted a price we are prepared to pay for sawdust so I do find it slightly unreasonable for the charity card to be thrown in and expect Arbtalk members to give a product away free when it is actually worth money to them.

I apologise if I have come over as antagonistic but offering to supply timber of a quality to make briquettes is not something a competitor normally does to allow a new entrant into the market place.

Fair enough John. I understand where you're coming from and I wouldn't have got involved if it hadn't been the fellow posting was a newbie. I don't think he was trying to take the mickey but I suppose it could come across that way to someone who knows the business.

I was thinking that from my point of view I'd be happy top give away sawdust from milling operations if someone wants to come in and clear it up - perhaps I'm being naive in that I produce something I could sell but from looking at other threads this is only the case if its kept clean and bagged.

If it was bagged clean in ton bags (not weighing a ton but .65 cubic meter) how much is it worth a) wet/fresh b) dried to 8% to 14%? And does it matter if it is produced by chainsaws?

Chainsaw milling produces huge amounts of sawdust and its something I could mention to those who buy a chainsaw mill and are nearby someone who produces pellets.