vt failure causes bad fall

gingertreeninja

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

V. T failure? Nope. Climbed error? Yes. The v.t is an advanced technique of climbing and should be treated as such. Wether you have been climbing for 30 years or 30 minutes it is such a different technique.

I hope he recovers too, was this 100% his error, or as an inexperienced user of the VT was he fully informed about its nuances?

Not insinuating a blame, just think, well, sounds like he was too inexperianced in its use, it is a modern technique, for advanced users, was he using it without having enough info and or tree hours already under his belt?

Some consideration needs to be given to the nature of the hitch, when choosing what to climb with.

Out and out 'performance' of a hitch isn't everything. Simplicity and fool proofness in a knot is important. We all get tired towards the end of a day and combined with wanting to get it all done... can lead to stress and increased chance of operator error. working with simple knots can have an advantage in this aspect, and can potential increase work speed, in so far as your hitch won't need to be checked, dressed and set at every new work position.

Some times i feel gear and stuff get used by folk to take away the need for the body to work. If you're to unfit to climb up a tree and 'have' to use high performance hitches to climb and last a week, perhaps work on your fitness. if you're having trouble limb walking, improve your balance, set up a slack line and give it some practise.

i understand the spider jack et al are worth a go but then its another load of £££ not in your pocket.

Hope this fella gets better green ninja.

You are all right about the climber error rather than the knot, but it is a bit poor when if you dont check it this can happen.

I wouldnt expect my krab to need such constant attention.

So you never check you krabs for wear and tear and make sur they still function properly?

Do you not get a qualified and experienced person once a year to check your krabs don't stay open so you don't have to in the tree.