screw type splitters

rowan lee

You say that Matty, but i have worn one out with that much use, and my mate has had his for about 3 years and does alot of logs. I have also lent mine and he his, to a mutual friend over the last few winters, and between us we have never experienced what you mention with logs spinning round. Dont believe the hype......it is pretty difficult to get your hand trapped. You would have to be a total numpty or so tired that you had no business being near equipment anyway. It isnt very likely and that is a fact.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have had a hycrack for a few years now and cannot fault it, if it is being used correctly and not abused then there is no reason for an accident. most accidents are caused by people missusing the equipment then blaming it when it bites back. wear gloves and keep your fingers out the way, happy days!!

when you have some old dear who wants 6" logs and all you have is elm full of knots its probably not that great though for the job.....the best bit was all i had left on the log pile was elm and with broken fingers i could not climb so did more logs and by the end of the week had destroyed the pto on the tractor after it kept jamming all i am saying is there is a lot better and safer machines out there,that is a fact... yes they are good and very effiecient compared to some of the crap out there but like i said i would rather buy a decent machine instead but thats my choice,if some one offered me another one cheap i would take it again and not save all the knots for it!

when you have some old dear who wants 6" logs and all you have is elm full of knots its probably not that great though for the job.....the best bit was all i had left on the log pile was elm and with broken fingers i could not climb so did more logs and by the end of the week had destroyed the pto on the tractor after it kept jamming all i am saying is there is a lot better and safer machines out there,that is a fact... yes they are good and very effiecient compared to some of the crap out there but like i said i would rather buy a decent machine instead but thats my choice,if some one offered me another one cheap i would take it again and not save all the knots for it!

Well you cant say fairer than that!:biggrin:

I bought a cone splitter head from the states and installed it on the rotator on my timber crane.

it works fine and im so far away from the action that its no problem.

its good for straight cord upto 15" but the rotator runs out of grunt on anything bigger.

im looking for a contractor grade auger rotator to see if i can split bigger stuff.

Hi Tree medic, saw a cbi stump screw at Elmia show in Sweden last year and it was the dogs doo dahs. It was used on a 13 tonne 360 digger and would split oak logs up to 3 feet diameter as well as being used to pick up and move timber around the yard. Brilliant bit of kit but quite expensive

Continental Biomass Industries, Inc. : Our Equipment : Attachments & Add-ons : Attachments and extras for efficient land clearing and biomass recovery

I have a hycrack splitter on a DB880 and cant fault it- if you use it properly!

The golden rule is ALWAYS load the log on the right side of the table and split pieces off from the left- the log cant spin then as the splitter just forces the ring harder onto the table.

I hope it goes without saying not to wear loose clothes(i use snug gloves and bare arms) and not to touch the shaft or cone while its spinning.