Starting out climbing when your older.

Mike Hill

HI Guys

Well I am 38 and female and just recently started all the climbing and side of it . I whish I had started it 10 years back but really lucky that I am fit and able I love every minut of it swining round the trees . I hope to be still at it when I am 50 . working in this indurstry is the best thing I have ever done .

Better late then never

Littletree :thumbup:

Good on ya.:thumbup1:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HI Guys

Well I am 38 and female and just recently started all the climbing and side of it . I whish I had started it 10 years back but really lucky that I am fit and able I love every minut of it swining round the trees . I hope to be still at it when I am 50 . working in this indurstry is the best thing I have ever done .

Better late then never

Littletree :thumbup:

old and a girl too ---good on ya littletree and all my support goes with ya:thumbup:

Edited by Albedo
same time as ian and same wordage too

Paul, how would you rate yourself as a climber, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being a trainee who has just passed his CS39, and 10 being Reg Coates?

if you mean me. When I started I was a natural and 34 is young, if MR Ed was still here he'd tell you I was good, but I knew naught about cutting and nearly killed myself a few times.

Now I've done pretty much everything treewise but it hurts so I'm methodical and unlikely to get killed as I'm wise to the dangers. But slower.

When I started I was high like 9 for climbing, but low like 2 for dangerous practices.

Now I'm high like 9 for not getting killed, but in the 4-5 mark for whizzing around the tree:thumbup1:

Edit = Good question peter and hope i've answered in the spirit intended

Edited by Albedo

38 is NOT old..........

my wife is 38, if you told her she was old she'd knock your block off.....:lol:

I'm 45(as stated earlier) and I'd do the same if it was said to me, if i could catch them with me zimmer:sneaky2:

You have never been a young climber.So mate how would you know?

There is a "keeness" that young climbers have,that older guys do not.Its the eagerness to go out and prove themselves.Right or wrong climbers are risk takers,the younger the bloke the bigger the risk he will except.

Its all very well climbing by the book,thats how you begin to learn.Young guys take the rules and bend them till they begin to splinter.

Sorry mate, but I really fail to see where you are coming from, the idea of going out to prove yourself IMO can lead to risk taking, One should always work within their capabilities, otherwise their is a potential for an injury to occur, this is not what a young climber wants, as it can then be a hinderance to him through out his career.

if you mean me. When I started I was a natural and 34 is young, if MR Ed was still here he'd tell you I was good, but I knew naught about cutting and nearly killed myself a few times.

Now I've done pretty much everything treewise but it hurts so I'm methodical and unlikely to get killed as I'm wise to the dangers. But slower.

When I started I was high like 9 for climbing, but low like 2 for dangerous practices.

Now I'm high like 9 for not getting killed, but in the 4-5 mark for whizzing around the tree:thumbup1:

Edit = Good question peter and hope i've answered in the spirit intended

Yes, and the second part of the question is;

If you had started at the age of 20, do you think you would have been a better all round climber?

Sorry mate, but I really fail to see where you are coming from, the idea of going out to prove yourself IMO can lead to risk taking, One should always work within their capabilities, otherwise their is a potential for an injury to occur, this is not what a young climber wants, as it can then be a hinderance to him through out his career.

One has very limited capabilites when inexperianced.Should that person always work to the boundries then they will never improve.

Young people naturally push the boundries,older folks generally work within them.Bearing in mind that many or most people entering this industry at an older age will not have had such a physically demanding job.