Starting out climbing when your older.

Mike Hill

You got mechanised in time to make life easier.You and me seldom drag or carry.Imagine doing all the numpty work starting at 36.

Quite a simple solution, price the job to take it steady and not rush around like a blue arsed fly.

There is no way on earth I would work for anyone and bust a gut at 46, but I dont have any problem whatsoever earning all the money for myself and pricing jobs right.

I expect to still be earning good money at 60 :001_smile:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite a simple solution, price the job to take it steady and not rush around like a blue arsed fly.

There is no way on earth I would work for anyone and bust a gut at 46, but I dont have any problem whatsoever earning all the money for myself and pricing jobs right.

I expect to still be earning good money at 60 :001_smile:

Sooooooo.

You either go to College or start a business with little experiance.

Both ideas have limited backing from this forum Dean.

Sooooooo.

You've got to start somewhere, but I get where your coming from.

I bet the majority on this forum started with no experience, hanging off a ladder tied to the tree with a bit of bailing band :001_smile:

or maybe he will work for himself and make more than them and enjoy every moment of it ?

:thumbup:defenderjack..

tis daft to assume that just because i'm starting late that a. i am going to work for someone else, and b. that i'm walking out of an office for the first time with no outdoor experience...oh and c. it keeps coming up about training companies etc leading me up the primrose path..

NO ONE has led me anywhere,, a few of you on here know my background and where i''ve come from, and those people aren't the ones sat here trying to tell me i'm going to earn crap money slaving for some one else..

I am under no illusion what so ever about how physical and mentally demanding this job is..... i am also under no illusion that it is going to be tough work..

but that doesn't mean i'm not prepared for it or too old for it.. my instructor is 58 years old, i've seen him climb... alot.. and i'd put money he'd run rings around alot of you youngersters (as you like to keep on calling yourselves:001_smile:) now he has been doing it for 40 years,, but there is no reason at all why i cannot be a fit, good climber......for years...

now tree ident... that's a whole different story....:wink:

please stop making assumptions about us older climbers.... especially if you don't know where we've come from.... we have a history, we've worked for others, ran our own companies, done multi million £ deals and earnt silly money traveling all over the world. we've been on the dole, and we've moved back home for a few months while we sort our finances out... and all of this before you've left school.....:001_tt2:

Sooooooo.

i dont understand why starting a business would have little backing from the forum..

a VERY wealthy business man told me " it doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing,,,, just make sure you surround yourself with people that do"

now i know that i dont have much tree experience, but i sure as sh+t know how to run a company and market it, etc etc.. i've been in this game for 5 minutes, but i've already got a nice contract about to start and another on the cards.. for the first job i'll be employing a climber and a groundie, as well as providing insurance cover for all, chipper, trailer, transport and if they're real lucky, some darn nice coffee.....

please can you tell me what is wrong with that, and more importantly, why the forum would "frown" at it... because if that's true... i'll spend my time elsewhere.......