Moving to NZ

Taupotreeman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the concern about choosing the right companies. I would look for some time over there but it's whether funds allow. Plus is UK equipment legal over there if it's lolerd? Does it just need an inspection over there? What's the average cost to get over there too? I suppose that would depend on time of year.

I would like to get into the proper companies who do things properly. Like the big arbor companies and not foresters. I've never had much interest into forestry. I prefer the care side of things. By the time I have funds or anything to do I'll have 2 years climbing experience and an fdsc behind me for the knowledge. I would just get atemp visa if they are possible?

OK. one by one. Safety standards in the UK are higher than they are here. For example the safety boots here only need to be steel toe capped and the chainsaw pants only need front protection and even that isn't always that good. Harness supplies are few and far between but I believe there is one outfit in the south island that keeps up to date with the latest gear. Most companies will give your gear a once over to check for fraying etc but general requirements are lower than what you are used too.

Couldn't tell you about the cost to get over here but my old man comes over every year and it costs him about 800 sterling return.

Be careful with the big companies. With some you become just a number and sometimes safety can go out the window. It also dpends on who you work with. Safety is the responsibility of the individual so if you're working with a nonce who doesn't care what the rules are....... and sometimes it's a case of just get the job done whatever it takes. Be warned.

i think the beauty of working in NZ is the fact that if you are unhappy with one company's systems and safety you can generally find another fairly quickly. I worked in Wellington for a year and loved every minute. sure the wind picks up now and again but it never really made a difference. A lot of the work we did in Wellington was domestic using cranes for the big stuff and difficult access.

Dunedin is a cool small city but it has a arb course so churns out prospective students (I should know -I was one). Hamilton also churns out students too which quite often get snaffled up by Treescape.

Christchurch is a good city in the south island with plenty of companies to choose from.

Good luck and enjoy:thumbup:

Unlucky Dave!:001_tt2:

Tee Hee.

Actually when I first told them I was a tree surgeon, they just laughed, and said Pah! anyone can do that. Kiwis are born with a rifle in one hand and a chainsaw in the other.

Fortunately I am able to weave intricate baskets and flower arranging acoutraments out of lentils, and it was in fact my lentil weaving skills that got me in, in the end.:thumbup1:

Hi Guys, just for those of you who don't know (there seems to be various threads on moving here) and are keen on moving to NZ; Arborists are on the skills shortage list. This means that even if you only have a couple of years experience and relevant quals you could still apply to be resident here as long as you can get a job offer. Immigration usually requires a 3 year college cert with continuous education through that 3 years plus about 5 years experience but the work to residence catagory gives you a bit of breathing space on this. You'll just have to work for a company registered with immigration NZ for two years. Don't know if this helps anybody but thought it was worth a mention.

How do you like New Zealand?

I can't recall ever reading a negative that I can remember.

:001_smile: