BBC Watchdog - tonight

AA Teccie (Paul)

Hi all,

Interesting posts..thanks!

I actually haven't yet seen the programme but hope to BBCi it soon.

I'm sorry that despite our best efforts to raise the profile of good arboriculture yet again several people are intent on shooting our efforts down and criticising the fact we promote those companies who have paid a lot of money and invested a lot of 'blood sweat and tears' to achieve AC status...clearly we have an obligation to members, and more particularly ACs and RCs (Registered Consultants) to promote them.

Again the issue of 'central government' enforced regulation has been raised...it's just NOT gonna happen guys, they're not interested, we're not 'big' enuff, 'sexy' enuff nor importnat enuff and there's not enuff of us dropping out of trees on a regular basis.

Industry 'self-regulation' (I KNOW, NOT ideal...but!) is the only opportunity for the good guys to stand out from the bad in a formal way. Obviously your reputations are key to this and in that respect most of you probably don't need any help BUT you do want to stand out/be separated from the bad 'uns'.

The 'Choose Your Arborist' leaflet is an AA publciation whihc seeks to inform the domestic consumer, principally, of some important questions to ask a tree surgeon and of course, indircetly, when you answer 'YES' to them all it promotes you.

I mentioned last week I assessed a (very) small contactor AND he was very good indeed with a fantastic work site audit and excellent tree work and he's almost there. I recognise you are in this position to and I would really like to meet you and work with you...but 'yes' under the AA approval scheme as industry 'self-regulation', please think about it.

I now there are 'mavericks' out there how will shoot me and this posting down BUT it's what I believe in and til the day I'm retired to that villa in Marbella (AKA tent in Bognor) I'll keep bangin the drum because, whilst acknowleging we've got a lot wrong to date (whihc I'm working hard to put right) I firmly beleive this approach is our best option.

Tahnks for taking the time all and enjoy the day (summer today, autumn tomorrow).

Cheers..

Paul

PS Just read this back n my grammar (God bless her) n spelling is awful..really SORRY, but I'm out the door for a weekend with the family in Cardiff now so I'll reply Monday if that's okay...cheers!

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was charging the right money, I'd rather price up behind him than some of the stupid cheap divs around here..

I agree with Lee on the pricing, pretty much on the money for the jobs carried out.

:wtf:

So you two think £20+ per minuet on site is "about right":confused1:

The "expert" reckond his price was 3x more than it should have been so £60 for that tiny tree, which IMO is about right.

You can find plenty, but its not ''poison'' its called soil, bank a stump up with soil and organic matter and it will rot away in quick time, I've had stumps rot away in a few months, time span depends on size stump...:001_smile:

Are you having a laugh????????????????

If you have found a way of making stumps rot away in a few months you need to contact the scientific community!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be a millionaire!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No not a robber, just clever!

So you think to tell an elderly lady that her tree "is dangerous", "has Honey fungus", "is definitely going to go over" and that he's "100% right", when in fact the tree in good health................ is "clever:thumbdown:

Unreal!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

So you think to tell an elderly lady that her tree "is dangerous", "has Honey fungus", "is definitely going to go over" and that he's "100% right", when in fact the tree in good health................ is "clever:thumbdown:

Unreal!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

Obviously cheating and lying is wrong, DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUOTES YOU WANT ADD :001_tt2:

:wtf:

So you two think £20+ per minuet on site is "about right":confused1:

The "expert" reckond his price was 3x more than it should have been so £60 for that tiny tree, which IMO is about right.

YOU WORK FOR THE £60, I'll have the £180 thanks, you're too cheap, I'd hate to price up behind you, I bet other contractors, sigh like an elephant if they find out they are pricing against you :001_tt2::laugh1:

I watched the programme.

I didn't like the blokes tactics, however, Lee and Andy make a good point.

I wouldn't have done that job for £60 like the expert suggested, unless it was one I could knock out on the way home for an existing client that was happy for me to turn up whenever it suited me.

Looking at it from the other way round,

A1 bloke has received an enquiry from a new customer,

he's taken the time and fuel to go and look at it and give his price,

he runs a three man crew, and on a second occasion, has turned up from wherever he is based to do the job,

cutting the trees down has taken 5 mins, but they have had to find parking, speak to the client, drag the stuff out, sweep up, and take away the arisings.

Then go back to base or on to the next job.

Probably more like 2 - 2 1/2 hours from starting in the morning to getting to the next job or back home. I am assuming he's in London and his yard isn't 5 mins away.

Knock the V.A.T. out of £180 and he's got £153.20.

Food for thought.