Health and Safety gone mad.

Recceboy

I'm afraid that I actually fully agree with his claim in this instance. His employer has asked him to do a job that he is not competent to do. Even now he says he should tie the ladder of to the branch.............

Employers have a duty of care, in this instance they clearly have not exercised it. Sounds to me like he was being instructed to do it by the gardener, who should know the basics.

It's not the same as having to have a cosh assessment for the shower gel in the staff showers which is H&S gone mad.

Having said that, have we got the full story???

Rob

I'm sorry, if I was the judge, I would have peed laughing and told him to shut the door on the way out!

How much has this man's stupidity cost the taxpayer. A buffoon like that should pay for his own mistakes imo.

Judges all go in favor of the injured party that why we all pay insurance.

Its all very well sayign this is a stupid case but most "accidents" are stupidity, they now have to be someones fault and if there is an insurance policy then there is a claim.

personally I'd have fallen off the ladder on purpose if I was told to do that kind of work.

UK minch is right, even though it is a sad world where this kind of thing goes on.

I'm afraid that I actually fully agree with his claim in this instance. His employer has asked him to do a job that he is not competent to do. Even now he says he should tie the ladder of to the branch.............

It doesnt actually say his employer asked him to do it, it says 'he was asked'. The owner of the hotel (presumably his employer) said she was away and would have had tree surgeons in to do it, and he says he should have tied his ladder to the trunk not the branch. It could have been the other gardener who asked him to help. We dont know.

TBH i reckon the judge should have told him where to go, and to stop wasting taxpayers money. It was a stupid error made by somebody who had no business being there- i mean this stuff is joked about in nearly every childs comic/ jokebook/ playgroung there is. I have to say that he sounds like a bit of a fool to do it, and his mate on the ground footing the ladder and presumably watching, an even worse fool. I reckon that after the event he was very embarrassed, and wanted to shift the focus of blame to save face, and some low-life solicitor has egged him on too.:sneaky2:

Back in the day any Handyman worth there salt would have cut the branch off stuck his ladders away and got on with the next job.

I know in this day and age we have H & S coming out of our bum holes (yes i have done a risk assesment for that)

But you would think the old boy would of

A. Not done it & asked a pro.

or

B Got on and done it and bayoneted a few of the dirty hun after tea and still not pissed and moaned