throwbag technique and cambium saver setting

ecolojim

I run zing it and have spliced the end so i can simply girth hitch it on. quick and easy, no knots

Jonesie. don't suppose you want to send it via me and i'll splice an eye on it?

Jamie

I'm sending it to Steve to do a review on it, if he wants

i can send it to you to splice and you can send it on to him, I'll wait for him to reply before i send it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A spliced eye has it's own problems.

For example: say you throw the throw line into a tree, the throw sucks, so you want to retrieve the whole thing and start over.

So you disconnect the throw line from the throw bag to make it certain that you will not get anything hung up as you retrieve the line.

Then that spliced end you were so proud of hooks itself perfectly through the base of a stub and for the life of you, that damm throw line is stuck.

Using a figure eight slippery knot eliminates this issue

• 2 weeks later...

You would need some long pole sections to compare to a bigshot or a competent hand throw with a throwline!

Alright there is a learning curve, but it is well worth investing some time and effort.

Buying a bigshot cuts down on the amount of skill needed, but adds to the budget.

in regards to the topic on hitting the spot i have found that trying to hit above and beyond the target massively helps. i used to try to hit the target and always bounced off of it and now im a pretty good shot and most trees take minutes to secure a line in (many hours swearing at my kit). i see the point about the pole and if i hadnt already got used to throw line id be there tomorrow but the dodgy throws and annoyance pays off.

another thing ive done is have lines in four different trees so we can get out of one and into another to save time between climbs.

loads of possibilities, good diverse tool.