Crows nest in poplar.

Shane

I had a job stopped by the RSPCA once due to nesting rooks. We were dead wooding an oak with a nest in the tree. I was doing my level best to keep the disturbance to a minimum, no dead wood in the crown where the nest was, elsewhere within the crown we were using handsaws to remove the dead.

Some nosey neighbour rang the RSPCA, they sent out an officer in a van, and told us to stop as it was illegal to cause any disturbance to a nesting bird in a tree. We had a "brew break" whilst I checked with the office, & the RSPCA dudette went on her merry way. Once the coast was clear and at the offices behest, we attempted to quickly finish what we had started.

Nosey neighbour, not happy and reported us again. This time RSPCA officer returned told us in no uncertain terms that if we did not terminate the job immediately we would face prosecution! We packed up there and then and left the job.

Customer was sound about it, and admitted he probably knew which neighbour was doing the reporting as he was having an ongoing feud with one of them. But at the end of the day even though we had no intention of harming the nest or birds it definately was'nt a job worth getting a criminal record for.

At this time of the year though it is a nightmare. Had a nest of 3 baby squirrels to deal with last week after monolithing a dying Ash, then a nest with a clutch of eggs in the drop zone of a dead roadside tree deemed to be a serious risk standing next to a high speed dual carriageway couple of days later!

Whaddya gonna do.......

I'm just about fed up with all this. Never had a problem with the old protected list; in fact have always gone out of my way to ensure I've never disturbed nests etc.

When it comes to crows, maggies, grey squirrels then I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Fed up of sitting back and allowing woolly-brained, pc busybodies push for bans on everything they don't like.

If they don't like hunting, shooting, fishing then tough. They even want to take our trail riding away.

That's it...rant over. Sorry about that:cursing:

did anyone see marco pierre whits toast of britain ?? he went out with a tem hunting the grey squwirell , they were using lopprpoles to disturb the dreys to get the squirrels out so that they could shoot them , nyway Marco got fed up waiting and decided to fire off both barrels the the drey to try and speed things up. funny as feck .

But in all seriousnes i did not hear anyone kicking up a stink because of what they were doing at all .

we have had a similar problem with a row of pines in a cemetery , last summer we could not do them due to crows nesting and due the their location the winter was way to wet to get near them , i consulted with defra and it turned out that i had to get a liscence to remove the nests at any time of the year because crows are historic creatures and use the same nests each year and often use them all year round , thankfully a year later we are now able to get them down at long last . anyway what i was going to say is the you may well have a long wait ahead of you :thumbdown:

Did you need a license in the end? i've got a pine tree to fell, told the client that we would have to wait till the crows finished nesting. But if i need a license to remove non-active nests too?? maybe he will have to wait a bit longer. Shame its on a main road...:thumbdown:

Well done Shane for respecting the other little critters on this earth.

I won't stop saying that this approach also wins work in the long term, although inconvenient at the time.

No harm having a supporting voice as well as those who dissagree which they are fully entitled to do.:001_smile:

Edit: If we didn't respect nesting season, there would be none for the shooters to shoot next year

Edited by Albedo

Just to let yo know i've been in contact with the RSPB and when they've fledged i can cut it down. Got worried earlier in this thread by reading the bit about DEFRA but the RSPB guy didn't say anything about the nest itself being protected. So chop, chop, chop at the end of july.

Hi all,

My understanding form previoulsy lloking inot this matter is that DEFRA issue an on-line licence, in effect an exemption licence, whihc allows disturbance etc. in cases of imminenet public danger /public health and, provided you are sure it is 'imminent', you can opertae under the terms of the licence BUT you need to be able to defend you position if challenged and demonstrate there is a clear publci dnager/health issue.

...or summat like that!

Cheers all..

Paul