Stephen Blair

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now then lets see....

a 6,.........

3 for that one, no maybe a 2,

.....couple of 1's there, now then do the averaging bit......

...errrr.........damn!

my low "working out an average" rating of 0 has given me an overall score of ...

ZERO.

Right then, Going to give myself an 8 for reductions cos i'm a good climber and as i'm tall and skinny I can get right out to the tips where some of you heavier guys would struggle.

Dismantles are a bit different, I think I have the basic skills, and I dont use a top handle one handed, especially not when I'm also holding the branch. However, I dont have the experience with dismantles that some of you guys have and only use very limited rigging techniques so ill go for a 6.

Tree ID is ok but fungi and disease are a bit of a mystery to me generally if it isn't something common so ill go for a 2.

Grand total 5.33.

Do I get an extra point for working out the average without a calculator, There was a thread recently where it was asked if vat guys always carry a calculator for quoting, if that was serious my maths skills are def above the arb average.

i'd say i'm at 2.5/10, 2.5/10, 0.5/10

got a long road ahead of me!

I'd say the first two mainly improve with speed - i could do the same dismantle or reduction as someone with 10 years exp, but would take a lifetime compared to them! :D

Cool. 6.333 for me then.

Seriously though, one handing may not best practice, but if you can do it safely (i.e. know the risks and limitations) then its ok. I'm virtually ambidextrous and can do many thing with either hand (lets not go there) and it is very useful.

Pfft loads of you dont arf have rubbish scores.

No wonder most of you think theres no skill in the job:lol:

Besides its too difficult to score against those 3 since..

1. Who is Graeme?

2. Steve uses photoshop on his pics(I know he asks me to touch them up but dont tell any one)

3. Monkeyd just googles everything!

In a real world situation I would score myself thus

1. 8 for dismantles, 99% come down just as planned in the time frame we set.

2. 8 for reductions as not had any complaints yet.

3.8 for idents as I more or less guess right most times on the general stuff we deal with.

So an overall 8

Always room for plenty of improvement but tbh I would hope I could achieve the above after 15 years of work.

I have seen plenty of climbers in RL and more than enough evidence of pics and vids on here to show that there are more than enough better climbers than me.

:thumbup1: