First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking to afriend at the HSE there is going to be a big crackdown on first aid availability for employes.

As an employer i would not take any risks and provide what i can to the max.

Look after good workers and they will look after you.

When i used to work for others i left many a job because the boss had no regard for there staff, its quite visible that with all the regs etc there is still alot working like that.

How many of these kits are people going to buy though?

Just one and keep it out on site or several to keep in truck and back at workshop etc.

Personally Ive prob got about 6 'normal' kits knocking about. One in each climbing kit, one in workshop and a couple in the truck. Each climber has a personal kit with celox in it and also some celox in main truck kit.

Better to have lots knocking about than one large one imo.

• 1 year later...
How many of these kits are people going to buy though?

Just one and keep it out on site or several to keep in truck and back at workshop etc.

Personally Ive prob got about 6 'normal' kits knocking about. One in each climbing kit, one in workshop and a couple in the truck. Each climber has a personal kit with celox in it and also some celox in main truck kit.

Better to have lots knocking about than one large one imo.

I am not so sure thats true, we have the same set up currently, and its a bit disorganised, the kits get moved about a lot, burried etc, bits gets used then we go looking for the next kit with the bits we want.

The whole point about having a proper box and proper stuff is that we are making a "rescue station" just as we would a fuelling station on site.

here will be your box, your risk assessment book/forms with front sheet giving grid reference (obtained at risk assessment ) contact numbers for next of kin, blood groups, medical conditions and allergy information of employees present.

this way its one box, with everything you may need in ONE pre designated place, not two three trucks with various undisclosed items split between them trucks/boxes with god knows what missing.

This system will make it a routine, and bits used wont be forgotten because you can tick them off and order them from a card by item numbers. with the box in a station at each job it will be in mind at all times, not occasionally raped boxes scattered behind seats of trucks lost behind jackets and waterproofs while your mate is dying on the floor.

AAteccie whats your views on these kits? and would the AA consider having a team of guys demo rescue setups at next years AA show?

personally i think that as much as these kits are expensive how much does a life cost ? . i personally think that it is a must have for any arb team woking an awkward hard to reach areas , for instance - a utilitty team working in a larch plantation 1/2 a mile from the truck or road . As said before it would be much better (and possibly better on the pocket) if it did come in a decent crew/trauma back pack .

• 4 months later...

On the latest 1st aid course I attended, I asked about these kits, and the course was specific to our industry, and the instructor was actually quite negative about them. He suggested that we should all carry a portable defib machine instead!! Now I can't see that happening amongst many companies, especially if you have several squads, and put a defib in each truck! Where exactly do we carry all this kit, essential as it's deemed? Trucks are already full to the brim with essential kit, tools to do the job, big arb aid kit boxes, files for all the paperwork for the days work risk assessments and method statements for each of the five sites you'll be visiting during the day, in at least triplicate for the different contractors who've passed the job down to you. Then there are the 3 man teams sandwich boxes, the washing facilities, the days water supply for a thirsty crew. It's getting silly. We have to save a life, or try and sustain that life until the ambulance gets there, and for a fraction of the money you can compile a very sensible and comprehensive 1st aid kit with everything you need for that task. There is no excuse for no training, and putting that into practise regularly perhaps on wet days, alongside aerial rescue scenarios, yeah right, how often will most companies waste time and money on that?!!

On the latest 1st aid course I attended, I asked about these kits, and the course was specific to our industry, and the instructor was actually quite negative about them. He suggested that we should all carry a portable defib machine instead!! Now I can't see that happening amongst many companies, especially if you have several squads, and put a defib in each truck! Where exactly do we carry all this kit, essential as it's deemed? Trucks are already full to the brim with essential kit, tools to do the job, big arb aid kit boxes, files for all the paperwork for the days work risk assessments and method statements for each of the five sites you'll be visiting during the day, in at least triplicate for the different contractors who've passed the job down to you. Then there are the 3 man teams sandwich boxes, the washing facilities, the days water supply for a thirsty crew. It's getting silly. We have to save a life, or try and sustain that life until the ambulance gets there, and for a fraction of the money you can compile a very sensible and comprehensive 1st aid kit with everything you need for that task. There is no excuse for no training, and putting that into practise regularly perhaps on wet days, alongside aerial rescue scenarios, yeah right, how often will most companies waste time and money on that?!!

the defib is the utimate in rescue/life saving desires. It is the defib that starts the heart, which is what the paramedics will use if your performing CPR till they get there.

the advice to carry one is good advice because it is the most important part of the proscess, cpr does not re start a heart all it does is pump blood to organs and put oxygen in the system to be pumped around.

I want a defib.