First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

an interesting thread,, from early on a few guys relying on the mobile.......... dunno about the rest of you but i know several areas where my phone has little or no network coverage!!!!! just a thought!!

They go to any available network for 999 cals

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same with 112........ meant to pick up any signal available with the bonus they can pin point ur exact position, not very many area not covered any mobile signal these days.....having said that we got throw off railways 1 day, because of no mobile signal available, but that was n the back of beyond

Hi Mike and welcome

If I may, is the 8 minutes not a target time for 75% of Category A calls (life threatening)

All others can, and should wait a little longer

Andy

Yes that is for cat A's but have been to a few cat B's and C's which should have been cat A's but will hold my tongue before descending into a political rant!!

Have not heard of celox I take it it is a clottting agent, probably made from potato starch?

Mike.

I carry celox! If the first thing i did was chuck a packet on a cut artery it probably would not be a good thing??

I think most of us where sold it as some magic powder to cure any major trauma and would chuck it on at the first sighn of major blood loss.... i wonder if it could complicate things further also if you cut a finger off and the hospital wanted to reattach it?

I have witnessed quite a few accidents guys breaking legs,saws in faces, hand and arm cuts with chain saws and they all got to the ground within 30 seconds apart from the premature decent on to a patio... wich left me confused as i didnt want to move him to much as he had obviously broken bones but difficulty breathing..that was the only one we called paramedics too! all the others we jumped in the truck and drove off to hospital... I would rather do that than wait for the paramedics given the choice.

I've been working for a while longer than mobile phones have been around, and even when we had them from about 95 onwards not everyone had them and the coverage was not good.

It was common in those days to ask the customer if we could use the phone, not necessarrily for emergencies ( I don't remember ever doing that) but more so we could phone the boss cos we couldn't figure out the worksheets, or cos the customers was insisting that we were supposed to do 3 trees not 2 etc etc.

So, mobile phones are not the great solution for emergencies. People have been calling ambulances for many more years than there have been mobiles.

Part of the emergency plan would be to check you have coverage and battery power and then also not the nearest landline. If in doubt ask the customer to leave a phone on the doorstep.

Customers still ask if we need a power supply. So asking for a phone for emergencies is not un reasonable??

Emergency planning and reducing risk is what the HSE requires of us, not upscaling our medical kit to such dramatic levels.

Emergency planning and reducing risk is what the HSE requires of us, not upscaling our medical kit to such dramatic levels.

Sry rupe , u lost me here, First aid kits are for when accidents do happen, All the planning in the world, unfortnately will not stop them happen, theres enough recent accidents photos posted in this forum to prove that.