Towing restrictions

John Hancock

May be of help to someone here. Involves towing restrictions with a 3.5 tonne truck. After buying a truck with a tacho fitted I decided to confrim a few points I had been told from different sources. Dont quote me on this but this is what I ended up with.

Tachograph in a 3.5 tonne gross vehicle

=========================================

If a tachograph is fitted in a 3.5 tonne gross vehicle it does not have to be used unless you are towing a trailer. Even then it may still not have to be used. (See Below)

Towing a trailer for business use with a 3.5 tonne gross vehicle

=================================================================

Tachgraph will have to be used unless ALL four rules apply below

Four rules to abide by:

1. Total combined weight does not exceed 7.5 tonne (Check legal train weight for truck)

2. Stay in a 50km (31.6 miles) radius of home base of vehicle.

3. for carrying materials, equipment or machinery for the driver’s use in the course of his work.

4. on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s main activity.

If the trailer unloaded weighs more than 1,020 KGs an operaters licence will be required. (see below).

The following taken from VOSA website PDF file

(Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs Goods vehicles in the UK and Europe)

Exemptions and derogations

---------------------------

Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum

permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that are

used:

• for carrying materials, equipment or machinery

for the driver’s use in the course of his work.

These vehicles shall be used only within a 50 km

radius of the base of the undertaking and on the

condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute

the driver’s main activity.

==================================================================================

Operaters Licence

=========================================================

No operaters licence will be needed if the trailer has an unladen weight of less than 1,020 KGs

The following taken from the transport office website (Vehicles outside Operator Licence Requirements)

It is also worth knowing that, when towing a trailer behind a vehicle that is around - or slightly below - 3.5 tonnes gross plated weight (e.g Ford Transit/Mercedes Sprinter sized vehicles), if the combined gross plated weights of drawing vehicle and trailer do not exceed 3.5 tonnes or (where there is no gross plated weight) the total unladen weights do not exceed 1,525 kgs, an operators licence will not be required. Please note that any trailer with an unladen weight of less than 1,020 KGs, need not be taken in to account in this calculation.

Axeman

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all total rubbish pre 97 drivers can drive 7.5 tonnes im pretty sure driving standards are 100 times more difficult now than pre 97 so todays drivers have to be far superior to pre 97. Its all just to earn money for nothing.

The younger guys today start far ahead of the old guys every test in every field is harder longer and costs more.

But training guys up is all a tax loss so what would you rather loose your money to.

Its all total rubbish pre 97 drivers can drive 7.5 tonnes im pretty sure driving standards are 100 times more difficult now than pre 97 so todays drivers have to be far superior to pre 97. Its all just to earn money for nothing.

The younger guys today start far ahead of the old guys every test in every field is harder longer and costs more.

But training guys up is all a tax loss so what would you rather loose your money to.

I find your arguments thin and feeble. Because a test is longer etc that makes an individual a better driver?

Tax deduction for the training yes, but what about the wages and lost productivity and therefore profit etc whilst the course is running. A company pays 3 times for training

I always find this a strange attitude,tax is only a percentage,so if you can make £100 you get to keep £80,dependent on the tax applied,so if I can make profit I will!!!!:icon14::wave:

Ability to drive well is within the individual, not within the ability to pass a test.

It will also be down to experience of vehicles driven whether it be pre 97 or post 97, you can't expect someone with no experience of driving a large vehicle to jump in one and drive it without hitting anything.

It's absolute tosh to say post 97 driver are far superior to pre 97 drivers :wave:

Someone told me that the trailer towing test is based on HGV class 2 test and if it was his money he would sooner put in for the latter. Not much more and you can drive just about anything in our industry.

Er thats not true really. I've done the trailer test, There is no theory or medical or hazard perception test. It is advised that generally 2 days training is required for a new driver. The test does contain the same exercises as the HGV C+E test (class1 Artic) I.e, braking, reversing, un couple re couple 40mins on road drive. and is carried out at a HGV test centre.

The above test can be done for £100 or less than £500 inc two days training HGV class 2 is now HGV class C (rigid) to pass this most dricving schools recommend minimum of 5 days training +test the cheapest I've seen that advertised is £900 round here plus the Medical, Theory test and Hazard perception, then it will only limit you to a Cat C vehicle with a light trailer of 750kg in this day and age. In arb if your running a large wagon you'll be dragging a big chipper so you'll need then to do your C1+E or C+E test.

Its not a simple issue and its a flippin expensive one too! I've driven 7.5 tonners and larger around farms and estates quite happily I can't drive one on the road without payin a grand for the privlidge yet my dad who passed in 19?? when cars were steam powered can legally drive a 7.5 tonner and yet wouldn't have a clue were to start!:cussing:

Just one

question hope somemone can answer

re 97 licence issue

What applys if a person passed an eu licence outside of the uk What if any are the restrictions ?

ie :: polish workers same applys restrictions or NOT ?

if not then that un fairly disadvantages a uk licence holder whom passed post 97 in the employment market imo !

Dont have a defintive answer for you, but the whole point of the 97 licence change was to standardise the categories across the European Empire. So thereorectically at least, it should now be a level playing field.