Using a VT

Al Cormack

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i was a lad i had 1, rope ,2,screw gates,harness & that was it,no eyes in ,make yr boline, measure yr lenth & make a prussik ,we used to pull are sens up on the rope ,then ty the the prussik ,you youngens today dont know your born :laugh1: i have gone hi tec now got some quick lock crabs :thumbup1:....................:lol:

Fair enough mate if it aint broke why try and fix it...

When they were inventing the wheel do you think the guy who had an oval wheel refused to use a round one when that came about? Both will get you there but one will be smoother and more efficient.

If something comes about that can make the job more efficient or offer longevity in the job by making your movements ergonomic. Is it not worth at least trying out? I know I look for the easiest and most efficient way to do a job, it's in my nature.

Once a good grasp of the principles of climbing are known and practiced. I think the sooner the climber moves away from the traditional style then the better they will be in the longterm. An advanced hitch can offer less RSI's, work the body in a balanced way and can actually be quite a bit of fun once you get used to it.

Advances in technology are just that... advances. Why not give it a go you may like it. :thumbup1:

i was like that,but more a case of tried once found awkward and blanked it.

but recently ascended a tree to do cavity inspection after a climber had done a thin out and used a howards hitch,

three wraps three twists off the rope half hitch n two fishermans with a pulley, its the muts.

its given me a new found enjoyment for climbing. doesnt get tangled or out lavly jubly

I tried a VT, found it temperamental, and went back to my trusty Blakes for a few weeks.

Then thought WTF? I'm an intelligent bloke, if the worlds best climbers use it it must be OK, and I must be doing something wrong.

Different hitch cord, DMM hitchclimber, oval crabs, adjust wraps and braids to suit your weight and climbing style - Bingo!

Difference to work is like bowsaw vs. O2O.

Hint - get someone who climbs on a VT to help. Miles quicker.

if you dont climb very often anymore, it will take a bit of time to trust it, like anything new. guys like rich are climbing 8-10 hrs a day everyday for other guys, they need to make life as easy as possible for themselves. if you are used to a prusik on a rope for months on end then it is mindblowingly slow setting up your cord each time, but it does slow you down and make you climb a lot safer i think and more aware of looking after your kit. i am onto the spiderjack now, for small trees and old pollards its excellent, working on big open trees, then it is a bit scary and it constantly chokers the stem when you are high up, you cant have too many techniques i reckon. if you are going vt, then a ropeguide and pantin is a must imo