CS39 - what exactly does it allow you to do?

mistahbenn

If someone were to play Devils' advocate then anyone looking at the industry from an outsiders point of view could quite easily be foregiven for thinking that no-one really knows or even that CS units are rather ambiguous. Would a total rethink be a very necessary step in the right direction? After all, there can be no compromise or doubt when safety is the issue.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cs 39 allows you to cut sections or branches using the cuts taught.

It also allowes you to dismantle ie cut the ****** down, using the cuts you have been taught without the use of lowering or pulling ropes.

It's quite simple as it states use of a chainsaw from a rope and harness!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Cs 39 allows you to cut sections or branches using the cuts taught.

It also allowes you to dismantle ie cut the ****** down, using the cuts you have been taught without the use of lowering or pulling ropes.

It's quite simple as it states use of a chainsaw from a rope and harness!

Nicely said. If you have to lower bits you need CS41, if you are leaving any of the tree alive it is pruning, CS40 needed. If you can take it apart and throw or freefall every bit and if necessary fell the pole from the ground you just need CS39.

yep

as i said the vertical bits were the sticking point which is why they have changed it

assessment is

step cut hand held

step cut free fall

sink cut hand held

sink cut free fall

1 piece must be done using a sling

and vertical sections

which is basically dismantling covered if no ropes are involved

off ladders then :thumbup:

Wood Cutter's got it spot on in my opinion.

If in doubt, dont do it and be safe.

If you're questioning your own ability to undertake safe cuts, get some more experience. If it's for insurance purposes, tick the boxes and get the tickets.

Nicely said. If you have to lower bits you need CS41, if you are leaving any of the tree alive it is pruning, CS40 needed. If you can take it apart and throw or freefall every bit and if necessary fell the pole from the ground you just need CS39.

Iv got CS39 and CS41 does that mean I'm not supposed to prune trees without CS40? Don't think I know anyone with a pruning ticket.

I would not like to comment on your personal standard re dismantling a tree on an open forum as not everyone would appreciate the time taken to reply and I could spend all night commenting on your individual shortfalls.

Have a nice Easter and don't eat too many eggs

You didn't buy me an egg ya tight git:thumbdown: and you haven't given me a definitive answer. Typical NPTC ASSessor!! If you can't do, teach and if you can't teach, ASSess:thumbup::001_tongue:

I believe that cs39 allows you to basically strip a tree down to stem without rigging but don't think it allows you to section the stem down or fell top out. (These are only rules) doesnt mean your not competent, just be careful working for big companies.

i had been climbing for a couple of years and went for my 39 last year.

there was three of us on the assessment and it ran from 9am till 5pm, the assessor was very thorough!

as part of my assessment i had to spike up a woodland sycamore (i had taken the branches off on my training, so was left as a very tall stick), we had to do all the cuts on the stem, effectively dismantling it- the sling was used with a rope so was pulled over from the ground.