Do you have permission to take that tree down?

Jon Lad

Doing this job today, 3 medium size sycamores (60-70') to come out in this relatively small garden and 2 other sycs to crown lift and 1 horse chestnut to be unpruned. All trees were TPO'd and I'd met the tree officer and we'd agreed what work could be done and got the permission in writing.

Loads of the neighbours kept coming out and asking, why they were coming out? Did we have permission to take them down? You shouldn't be allowed to take them down! Etc, etc and unfortunately we were working in a green lane at the back of the garden as the trees were right on the boundary and it was much easier access.

It struck me as I looked at the gardens of the people who had come out and complained, and I made sure I got a good look from up in the tree. None of them had any trees in their gardens! Not even ones they'd planted themselves. Why is it often the case that the people who make the most noise when they don't want you to take a tree down, haven't even one on their own property?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its good, when people show an interest in why trees are coming down and stuff, providing the speak nicely and dont come shouting at you. Saying that, my people skills are rubbish and i get annoyed with them to easily.

Keep your ear muffs down, saw running and pretend you cant here them. :D they will soon move when there falling branches left right and centre lol

It struck me as I looked at the gardens of the people who had come out and complained, and I made sure I got a good look from up in the tree. None of them had any trees in their gardens! Not even ones they'd planted themselves. Why is it often the case that the people who make the most noise when they don't want you to take a tree down, haven't even one on their own property?

Very good point... I hope you offered them advise on what to plant to compensate.

i had someone actually get into my work area the other day and ask me "who comissioned you to take this tree down?"

I remember years ago, these women walking their little kids to school past where we were dismantling some trees and one of them shouted at us to stop cutting them down. Because there was a ''fox's nest'' in one of them. She could see an old dray was what it was.:biggrin: