log burner ignorance

s.varty

blimey its all a bit technical,

i light a fire lighter, put that on the grate, then chuck a decent handful of kindling onto the fire lighter and then after about 5mins put some logs on to it, its not rocket science if your sticks and logs are dry :001_rolleyes:

this seems to work well on both my log burners and rayburn, and i only have this for heating and hot water, it would be a real pain if i had to faff about with making nice little piles of material everytime i wanted to light one,

fire was one of the greatest developments man has ever made, and we seem to be over complicating a bit much, :lol:

also i have heard that sitting by the fire and rubbing the bits of kindling together should make a fire eventually, and if it doesnt at least it will keep you warm :thumbup:

and if all else fails, chuck some two stroke on it :lol:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it:

Lighting fires is another problem area. (no, really, it isn't.:001_rolleyes:)

2) Build the fire upside down. Put the coal or larger wood at the bottom so that it forms a reasonably solid mass, and will catch everything that falls onto it. (This enables it to catch all the small embers that form from the burning of the kindling, and which would otherwise fall through the bars of the grate and be lost. By using this method, the embers will fall onto the wood/coal and create a hot heart to help the ignition process along.)

But with a woodburner, you burn on a flat grate on a bed of ash, so this isn't an issue.:001_smile:

blimey its all a bit technical,

i light a fire lighter, put that on the grate, then chuck a decent handful of kindling onto the fire lighter and then after about 5mins put some logs on to it, its not rocket science if your sticks and logs are dry :001_rolleyes:

:lol:

good advert for my sticks i sold you the other week charlie:thumbup:

had one lady ring up saying the logs wouldnt burn, turned up walked into front room (took my boots off!) showed here how to put the paper and sticks and light it etc, she said if its going to be this much trouble - i only wanted one because all the mothers at kindergarten were having them installed!

spoke to a stove installer the other week, he wil only promote kiln dried timber to customers and has told them all to stay away from softwood - better tell all those people in finland/norway to swop from pine to imported hardwood

spoke to a stove installer the other week, he wil only promote kiln dried timber to customers and has told them all to stay away from softwood - better tell all those people in finland/norway to swop from pine to imported hardwood

...a pound to a penny he just happens to know someone who just happens to sell kiln dried logs. Small world...

I knew there'd be a comment from you :thefinger:

Just going off thread here, but I see from their results Redruth don't want promotion this season :lol:

We toyed with the idea of relegation instead, so we could renew our old rivalry with you lot. However, as you can only drop one league per season, nobody was prepared to wait that long! :lol::001_tt2:

had one lady ring up saying the logs wouldnt burn, turned up walked into front room (took my boots off!)

should think so if you had come from walking around in your yard :lol:

was said stove fitter from a firm in uttoxeter? who happen to sell small boxes of kiln dried logs?

charlie - i personally swept the concrete just for you this afternoon - so you can pop round for a cuppa with me tomorrow as am doing the brakes on the transit, tonys off not very well

as for the stove man - i rang up a chap about promoting local firewood - i.e. us! - he was a stoveman from milford i think and yes he only sells stuff in little boxes!

as for the stove man - i rang up a chap about promoting local firewood - i.e. us! - he was a stoveman from milford i think and yes he only sells stuff in little boxes!

Have you tried selling your logs to the fire place in Milwich, it's near the church?

Martin